Chapter IX

Alexandra started walking towards a police car that was parked next to the diner. As she got in, John looked up from the newspaper that he was reading and started up the engine.

"How did it go?"

Alex didn't respond for a while; she had her eyes locked onto Monika. An uncomfortable feeling swelled up in her stomach.

"I'll talk about it on the way" – she finally responded and pulled out her phone to call somebody. John was a bit confused, normally she would be ready to spill everything that she had found out after talking to somebody involved with the case, but not this time. He concluded that they would talk about it later as he didn't want to disturb her.

~

They were driving for quite a while now, but Alex still hadn't said a word. She was nervously shaking her leg and was staring intensely out of the window, deep in thought.

"Will you tell me what you found out already?" – John asked, swiftly glancing at his coworker. Alex didn't respond for a while. She leaned back in her seat and let out a tired sigh, whilst rubbing her eyes.

"I'm afraid that... The girl is in serious danger... And I have no idea how to help her"

As Alex finished talking, she felt John pull over and turn off the engine. She heard the car keys rattle as the man turned to look at her. They were at the police station that they work at. A big building in the outskirts of the city.

"Maybe you should tell the sheriff about this" – John said, as he got out of the car and started to make his way towards the building with Alex by his side.

"No, he is out of town right now, besides, I don't want to talk to that asshole right now"- the woman responded before opening the back door to the building and stepping inside. It was quite chilly inside the office due to the multiple air conditioners placed through out the whole complex.

"What about the inspector? He assigned the case to you and heck we might actually need backup for this"

Alex stopped dead in her tracks and turned to her friend a tired look in her eyes.

"The last time I said anything about the case and that "thing" he didn't believe me. Said I was a lunatic"

John only raised a brow at that. The inspector was known for being quite rude, but to call Alex a lunatic was absurd. Milford was one of the best detectives this department has seen in years, but then again, the inspector probably didn't care that much. Just then, Alex saw the inspectors colleague Terry walking their way. Terry was a tall, big, muscular black man with a wide and broad chest. His hair was cut short and one of his ears was pierced with a single metal piercing. People would often be quite afraid to approach him due to his big stature, but he was actually a really soft-spoken guy, who honestly resembled a big teddy bear.

"Hey, Alex, sorry to disturb you, but the inspector wants to see you in his office" – Terry said as he approached them.

~

"I'm taking you of the case" – the inspector said as he leaned back in his chair and glared at the female detective standing before him.

"What?... What do you mean "taking me off the case"? I'm so close to solving it. What for?!"

"I am tired of hearing about your bullshit nonsense with this investigation" – the man said as he propped up elbows on his desk and pushed up his rectangular glasses. The inspector, Christopher Wright, was a tall, somewhat muscular man with a sharp jawline and a stubble. He would often wear contacts or glasses due to his slightly poor eyesight and his black, short hair would often be swept back. After sending a glare to the woman, he opened the case file and, after taking a sip of whiskey from a glass he kept on his desk, he started to flip through it, pointing out certain things and notes that the detective had taken down.

" "A tall, pale man with a black overcoat and fedora, who refers to himself as "Offenderman" is one of the mane suspects""- Chris started as he looked at the first page, before flipping to another one, - "Everything would have been fine, but then you started to write shit like "with his white tentacles" and "his face is described to be pale and without eyes or nose""

Chris slammed the file closed, startling the detective and his colleague in the process.

"Are you trying to make idiots out of all of us?! If the head office saw the shit that is written in this goddamn file, it would bring shame and disgrace over this entire station!"

Alex didn't respond. She just looked straight at the inspector with a sad gaze, that she concealed quickly.

"Well?" – the man asked.

"I shall resign from this case, sir. I hope I won't cause you any more trouble" – that was the only thing she could say out loud at that moment.

The inspector put away the document in his drawer and didn't spare even a single glance towards the woman before saying:

"I shall put somebody else on this case and I will think twice before even giving you another one. Dismissed"

Alex bowed before turning her back and walking out of the office. John was waiting for her outside and, as she walked out, he immediately out a comforting hand on her shoulder as they started to make their way towards the cafeteria.

"Don't worry. I'm sure the girl will be safe" – John said as he poured a hot cup of coffee for his coworker. Alex didn't respond and buried her face in her hands, letting out a shaky sigh. The steaming cup was placed before her on the table and she felt a warm hand on her back, rubbing comforting circles to calm her down.

After calming down, Alex took a sip of her coffee before she heard somebody sit down in front of her and John. It was Terry. He gently placed a case file in front of them.

"Look" – he started, - " If what you are saying is true-"

"It is true!" – Alex cut him off, - "Why would I ever lie about this?!"

Terry put a comforting hand over her smaller ones before continuing:

"And I know that. Listen I will give you a copy of that same case, but you have to promise not to tell anybody, ok?"

The detective smiled a teary smile and gave his hand a tight squeeze. The man then looked over at John.

"You too" – is all he said to him.

The officer nodded with a small smile and thanked Terry under his breath.  

~

Offenderman doesn't belong to me. All of the credit goes to his creator. Only the story belongs to me.