Chapter X

Monika was walking back home through the empty and dark streets which led her to the bus stop she needed. She had her hands buried in the pockets of her hoodie and she hung her head low, eyes to the ground. It was a tiring day, a really tiring day. Not only did she get yelled at by the English teacher for forgetting her notebook, she had also somehow managed to anger a customer in the coffee shop, which resulted in the customer splashing piping hot coffee all over her. Her arms still hurt because of the boiling water, but there were no serious injuries. It also didn't help that she had to stay longer at the café to help clean everything up since some employees had gotten sick and couldn't come in. Mondays are hell...

As she was quietly walking down the dark streets and alleyways, she heard another pair of footsteps coming her way. They seemed quite far away, but Monika still made sure to pick up her pace. But the also quickening footsteps of whoever was behind her didn't go by unnoticed. This couldn't be coincidence. She was definitely being followed. Monika began panicking, she started to feel sweat running down her face and back as she started running down towards the direction of the bus stop. But she wasn't fast enough... A hand grabbed her by her forearm and she was pulled back. She let out a loud yelp, before she felt her head smashing against a hard brick wall as somebody began choking her. She already knew who it was. In her mind she could see the black fedora and the black overcoat, that thing that has been following her has finally caught her, but... As she opened her eyes, tears clouding her vision, she was surprised by what, or more exactly, who she saw. It was Adrian... He was breathing heavily and his grip around her neck only seemed to get tighter and tighter.

"Adrian... what... what the... fuck?" – the girl chocked out, trying to pry his hands away from her, so she could at least get a breath in.

"Now you listen very closely" – Adrian said, as leaned in closer, - "I've had enough of your bullshit and I have been kind up until now"

"Yeah right" - Monika thought. She dug her nails into Adrian's hands.

"But I won't be as kind now, not anymore" – the male said and pulled out a knife from his pocket, - "I'm gonna kill you... Maybe then you WILL STOP INTERFERING!"

The last three words were accompanied by a punch in the gut. Monika gasped for air as the pain intensified and she could feel herself getting nauseous. Adrian finally let go and let her fall onto the pavement. The girl gagged before she turned to look at the man.

"You...are...fucking deranged..."

"Deranged, huh?" – Adrian said as he circled around the female, - "You think I'm deranged? You think I'm a psychopath? Is that it?"

He yanked Monika by her hair and brought the knife up to her throat.

"If you think that I'M a psychopath, you should see my father..."

The cold blade of the weapon sent shivers down Monika's spine. Adrenaline was pumping through her whole body, she could feel the warm sensation of blood running down the front of her neck. This is how she dies...

"Hey!" – somebody called out. It was a soft old woman's voice. Out of the corner of her eye, the girl saw and old lady coming their way, - "Leave that girl alone or I'm calling the police!"

Adrian glared at the woman and pulled the knife away from her throat, giving her the opportunity to cover the bleeding wound on her neck. He approached the woman hiding the weapon behind his back, trying to look innocent.

"I was only defending myself" – he said, clenching the weapon tighter and slowly getting closer to the lady, - "she attacked me!"

"No, no! I didn't!" – the girl stammered, blood flowing down her hand and arm.

Adrian glared at her from the corner of his eye, giving her a silent warning. The woman lifted up her cane and pushed it into the boy's chest.

"I saw everything that happened, boy! Don't you lie to me"

His eyes became full with anger before they were replaced with absolute horror as he looked behind the woman. Adrian stammered and stumbled back, then broke out into a full sprint the opposite way, checking behind his back as he ran. The lady huffed and turned to Monika, gently approaching her and picking her up from the ground.

"Everything is all right now, dear. Let's get you cleaned up"

Monika could only nod in pain and held on to the woman as they made their way to the bus stop together. As they were walking, the image of Adrian's horrified face flashed in her mind. What did he see? Adrian was a tough guy, not to mention a horrible one, but she has never seen him scared. Ever... So, what did he see that made him so terrified? She could only hope it wasn't what she thinks it is.

Offenderman doesn't belong to me. All of the credit goes to his creator. Only the story belongs to me.