Chapter XXI

Warning: this chapter includes and mentions murder/stalking. If you feel uncomfortable reading this, feel free to jump ahead or not read this chapter entirely. Stay safe :)

SleepyFerret

The small book that laid under the loose floorboard looked quite new, even though it was covered in grime and dirt from being under there. It was small in size, probably a pocket notebook, and its cover was a dark brown colour.

Monika carefully reached in and pulled out the notebook, examining it carefully. It wasn't exactly thick, maybe around 100 pages or less, but it seemed like every single page was filled with writing. Blue ink stained the side of the pages, which made it look way more worn than it actually was. The girl gently opened the book and glanced at the first page. There, in shaky writing, was written:

"I am Catherine Kilby, I am 17 years old and I am here to help you escape."

______________

Alex firmly knocked on the wooden door in front of her. She stepped back a bit, looking out into the yard in front of the house with a gloomy face. She spent the whole night looking over various victim cases, CCTV footage, pictures taken at different crime scenes, everything. And now, as she stood here, on the wooden patio, praying to any God above that someone will open the door, Alex felt like she was the closest she has ever been to solving this case.

The woman heard the door squeak open and a head peaked out from the other side. The older lady on the other side of the door looked the detective up and down.

"Can I help you?" – she asked, her voice weak and quiet.

"Good afternoon, I am Alexandra Milford, we have met before," – Alex responded in a soft voice, leaning forward a bit.

"Oh... yes... yes, I remember," – the lady muttered out before opening the door wider and stepping to the side, - "Come in..."

The detective smiled softly and went inside the house. As she looked around, a sad memory crossed her mind. The last time she was here was when she had to inform the lady of her daughter's, Catherine Kilby's, passing. But it seemed that the woman took the news quite well. The house seemed clean, the woman's appearance as well, but her voice still sounded weak and sad.

"Sit, detective..." – the lady murmured, pointing at the sofa with her hand.

"Thank you." – Milford answered and sat down, placing her arms on her knees and leaning forward as she watched the woman sit down on the other sofa in front of her, - "how are you doing, Mrs. Kilby?"

"Good..."

Alex sighed quietly, looking down at her hands.

"I know that... this is not the best time for this. Since your daughter..." – she stayed silent for a bit, - "I wanted to ask for a favor, Mrs. Kilby. If I may that is."

The older lady didn't respond, her posture was stiff as she stared down at the ground, her long, black hair draping down, acting almost as a curtain that covered her face. They both stayed silent for a bit. Alex glanced around the apartment, whilst Mrs. Kilby didn't even move a muscle.

"I understand that I'm asking a lot from you, but─"

"Did he take another girl?" – the older woman cut her off, finally looking up at her, her eyes somber and her voice quiet, - "Did that thing take another girl?"

The question took the detective by surprise as she stumbled on her words a bit before composing herself.

"Yes, he did."

"Who was she?"

"I'm afraid, I cannot tell you that, ma'am."

The room became silent again. Mrs. Kilby looked down at the detective's hands, they were clasped together and were resting on the woman's knees.