Chapter 25

In a world of mobile couples, being a quiet unit sucks. Freckles had left three years ago and all I had done was stand still. I was still in bed,still on the couch, still in the bathroom, still in my thoughts and in my demons. I was a quiet unit in a world of mobile couples. A poet told me in a corner: you have to risk it and fall in love. What if I heard it wrong? What if falling in love is a risk? I decided to kill my stillness, put my legs on and started running along the road. I' d race the trucks and beat them. It was impossible with motorcycles and let's not talk about snakes. I starved for two hundred miles. A woman in a motor home rescued me and gave me food and shelter.He also made love to me in my sleep. I remember because I was awake in the dream. I said goodbye to her and went on my way. I smoked marijuana with some hippies in a Vermont commune. I fought a duel with a man in Prague. I met a Chilean couple in Santiago and lived with them for a few weeks. They had a cross-eyed cat called Spotty.We drank pisco all the time. One night I woke up and they weren't there anymore. The house was gone, the couple was gone, " Spotty " was gone. Santiago had disappeared. I bought a map to make sure Santiago wasn't there anymore. I kept running. I saw a cop handing out flyers with my face on them. I asked for one. They say, "Wanted."I asked him what I was accused of, he said: terrorism. I ran along the road trying to get away from the ghosts that appeared at night and the coyotes that were around during the day. I stopped at a gas station. I bought a pack of cigarettes. Leaning against a car window, a girl looks at me, runs her index finger down her throat and laughs.I started running again but I kept looking at her.I bumped into an ant and split my head open. I woke up in a place full of women and men kissing. There was a woman alone in the corner. I took her by the waist, closed my eyes and kissed her.I closed my eyes because I thought I'd be able to forget about her.It was useless. On the contrary, all I could see was your face. I kissed her because people always say that a nail pulls out another nail. It's a lie. They say that because they never fell in love.If you hammer a nail over another nail, you're going to drive that old nail into your heart. And the worst part is not that it gets infected and rots. The worst part is being a quiet unit in a world of mobile couples.