Chapter 34

He did it. He published a book of short stories called "The scribbles hurt more if they have sharp points" and a novel, his only novel, entitled " The Torture ".With " The Torture " he was recognized by the general public.He got good reviews too, but that never mattered to him.The teenagers of 17 and the teenagers of 30 went crazy with " The Torture ".Everyone who read the novel wanted to be Angel Matos and to tour the bars and cities wrapped in a black coat, provided only with a lighter and a pack of cigarettes.With his heart in a hotel room and the soles of his boots worn out from all the walking.The same critic who had always despised him, wrote that "the beginning of The Torture" was going to last forever among the best beginnings of universal literature".I think he overreacted.He felt guilty about what he had said and, well, you know how Christians are, they think they need to leave in peace so they don't have to scrape their knees when they climb up the gate of the entrance to heaven.Be that as it may, everyone remembered those first words: "And one day, all the hook pins that the young men used as accessories in their jeans jackets penetrated at the same time the palms of my soul's feet, and that, my friends, was the beginning of the torture. Yes, but not the end. Not the end."He drank a lot of beer and wine.He fucked hundreds of women he never fell in love with.All the bars knew him and couldn't forget him.He did it. He wrote down a few things, drank and fucked and no one could forget him.