Chapter 72

One day I came home and my mom told me that she was going to replace me with the boy I was not. He was a boy who looked like me physically, but did the exact opposite: he smiled, played with other children, was polite and kind. My sisters adored him. My mom told me that they were going to try to do their best so that this child would not be ruined like me. They were going to try to please him in every way they could as long as it didn't involve his self-destruction. This boy's stay at home meant my departure, so my mom escorted me to my room and helped me pack all the memories in a bag full of holes. The only option I had for not being banished was to turn back time, but that meant stealing God's watch and the truth is that I was too busy picking up the memories of an afternoon of disappointment that were coming out of one of the many holes in this bag. Once I finished filling my hands with them, I left behind a life that no longer belonged to me and went to the train station. I had always liked trains, they symbolized for me the end of one thing and the beginning of another. Each station was a new life I could choose and that comforted me a little. The train arrived, I watched from here as some of his memories fell onto the tracks. He got on and sat down, only this time there wasn't going to be anyone running by his window.