Chapter Thirty Five

"Pretending to faint, really?" I rolled my eyes as I walked into his room. He groaned, rubbing his face. "It was a spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment thing."

"Well, you'll get a kick out of my spontaneous, spur-of-the-moment punches to your damn face." I snapped irritably, pacing the floor with my arms crossed and eyebrows knitted together.

"I thought you'd get out, too, excuse me." He remarked, rolling his eyes. I mimicked him, facing towards him. "What did you want to talk about, because if we continue to argue like this I'm leaving."

He stood up, walking towards me. "I fucked up-"

"-Obviously-"

"- I never meant the things I said, you know that."

"That doesn't make it right for you to call me names, threaten and degraded me!" I shouted, throwing my arms to the side.

"I know! I know I'm a dick for doing that, I promise you that I will never do that to you ever again, you have my word."

I sighed, "We'll just have to see about that."

"I also promise to never use us as a reason to get completely wasted ever again." he assured.

"Was drinking the only thing you were doing?" I asked, my eyebrow arching up. He nodded, looking at my face, but not my eyes.

"You sure?" I pressed, wanting him to at least admit that he wasn't just drinking, for his sake.

"Yes."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, angry tears in my eyes. "Bullshit, Niall."

He looked at me incredulously, searching my face for a sign, for anything besides realisation or knowing.

"You think I'm stupid, Niall," I shook my head as I stared at the floor.

"No I don't." he said automatically, like a child who wanted to take back the insult they said to their mother. I snapped at him, "You think I don't know when someone was smoking pot, please, I grew up surrounded by them."

"I-I wasn't." he stumbled. I snapped my head up, looking at him. "Cut the crap, Niall, I'm not some child that can be easily lied to. I'm 19 years old, I'm a woman, I know what I'm talking about."

"I believe you." he said softly.

"I don't believe you, though." I concluded. He looked at me desperately, making my lip tremble.

"Why can't you be honest with me, Niall? Do you not trust me?"

He glared at me furiously, his jaw setting. "You know damn well that I trust you," he snapped, rubbing his face.

"I mean, fuck, Delaney! Of course I trust you. You're the only person I've ever told about Emily," he choked up a bit, "I know you knew about her before I told you, everyone knows about her, it's not a secret, but they didn't hear about her from me. They heard from others that went to the same school as us, they heard the side story. You're the only one who was told by the person who lost her."

I squeezed my eyes closed, pressing the heel of my palm to my eyes.

"Well, say something. Tell me about how you still think I don't trust you with anything." he spat annoyedly, walking away from me.

"Do not try and turn this on me, Niall Horan! I didn't fuck this up, I didn't cause this problem between us. It was you and you know good and well it was!"

"Don't think your some fucking Saint, Delaney. You can't come out on top unscathed."

I clenched my teeth, slipping my hands in my hair, pulling at it harshly. "God Damnit!" I shouted, tears streaming down my cheeks and neck.