TWO

As soon as the fire flashes green and they're within their own kitchen, James turns to Lily, upset. "Why would you do that?" He utters, lost, confused. His tone carries the essence of the frustration he feels.

Lily shrugs, moving to turn on the kettle. She doesn't reply. James sighs heavily. "Lily, I thought you didn't want to pursue this. I thought you especially didn't want to pursue it with Regulus Black. You said babies weren't for us-"

"James, I know what I said. Look, it's done now. Forget about it," Lily urges. "We're finally having a baby. Honestly, James, you should be grateful that I asked, at least now it's all confirmed for us,"

James shakes his head. "How can I feel grateful for anything when it feels like you prodded to the point of making Regulus uncomfortable enough to make an Unbreakable Vow with us."

"Why do you care how he felt?" Lily swerves. "I mean, he instigated the Vow. You can't blame that part of me," Lily scoffs. "Although I'm sure you wish you could,"

"I never said that," James answers pointedly.

"Well it feels like it!" Lily rashes. "Besides, Regulus Black isn't this soft little lamb, James. He's a wolf in sheep's clothing. He's an ex death eater; if he didn't want us to have the baby, then he was bloody more than capable of preforming an unforgivable curse!"

James makes a face, sighing shakily. "That's not fair, Lil,"

"Why not? I'm sure he's done it countless of times before. You seem to forget what side of the war you fought on, James. Even then, you should remind yourself what side he fought on,"

"The war is over, Lily," James reminds. "You should remind yourself of that,"

Lily's expression sours further. "The war is over but yet Regulus Black escaped incarnation in Azkaban? He never served a single damn second in a cell, James. He walked free. He's having a baby, something we can't do. How did he manage to never once be punished for all that he has done?" Lily barks.

"He was a kid, Lily! You don't put kids in jail cells," James cries. "He was barely twenty when the war ended. I'm sure he's seen more than enough death to act as his punishment so, please, can we just drop this?"

Lily squints. She folds her arms over her chest. "Why are you defending him?" She questions suddenly, her hip jutted out as she raises an eyebrow.

James isn't sure how to answer that without further aggravating his girlfriend. James sighs, running a hand through his messy locks of raven hair.

"He's pregnant," James finally offerings, assuming it is the least likely statement to get him into any further trouble.

"It's not like it's yours…" Lily trails, her shoulders raise a little as she points her chin, tightening her jaw.

James snaps. He can't take it anymore. Lily had instigated the Vow. She had wanted to do it without consulting him after berating him for even suggesting it. "It is mine, Lily! That Unbreakable Vow made that quite bloody clear!"

"I… That's not what I meant. You're right. I just miss you. I miss it being us." Lily's eyes fill with tears. "It hasn't been just us since…there's been this thing between us, always there and…I miss James. My James. James and Lily forever, remember?"

"We can't live in a world just the two of us. We're not in Hogwarts anymore. And no matter how much I may want to have it be just you and me and nobody else, we have responsibilities." James says softly. He always softens when she gets like this. "And we're going to tend to Regulus, whether you want to or not, because you riled Regulus up enough that he wanted that Vow,"