TWENTY SIX

They sit in the living room, Regulus curled up as best as he can be with his new set of stitches, and James sat close by him, watching Regulus carefully as he readjusts himself every now and then, grimacing silently at his stitches. Little Aurora is snoozing peacefully in a small Moses basket near them, she makes soft noises every once in a while.

Regulus has a pencil in his grip, his face etched with concentration. James watches him closely. "What are you drawing?" James asks softly, his voice tired, but oh so happy. Aurora has been home for four days. She has caused chaos throughout the night, crying loudly, but James is sure that she just misses the warmth and comfort of being tucked away inside of Regulus.

Regulus just hums tiredly and quietly in response. "Take a look for yourself," As he drops his pencil go his lap, James realizes that this is the most vulnerable Regulus has ever been in regards to his sketchbook, he is willingly offering the sketchbook's contents to James.

James cranes his neck slightly to peer down at the page. There, sketched upon the once blank page, is a sketch of little baby Aurora, her tiny grey eyes crinkled, her face smushed a little, just as she does regularly. James smile softly, the corners of his lips curling upwards.

"That's uncanny," He tells Regulus with a smile.

Regulus hums shyly. "You think?"

James nods, gazing at the sketch. He hesitates a little before, "We...we could put it in her nursery, if you'd like, maybe have it framed, even,"

James glances cautiously at Regulus, wary of any incoming signs of a disagreement. Regulus had committed to him, to their daughter. He had stayed, with them, with James. In spite of this, James does not want to rock the boat, he doesn't want to ring any alarm bells. He does not think he could cope if Regulus decided that America, or wherever he had longed to go, was calling him. He doesn't want Regulus to leave them, he and Aurora.

Regulus inhales softly before swallowing, a small, timid smile appearing on his face. "Yeah, I...I'd like that," He says quietly.

"You would? I...Regulus, I don't want to push you into anything, you can tell me if you aren't ready for, um, y'know, that sort of thing," To be a little more maternal, James wants to add. But he doesn't. Regulus has been perfectly maternal.

Far more maternal than James would have imagined him to be. He had caught the few glimpes of Regulus interacting with their baby when she was nestled, cosily, inside of his belly, James had managed to see him show affection to his baby bump a couple of times. He knows that Regulus Black is deeply maternal.

James knows that Regulus cares so deeply and profoundly for their tiny baby girl, however, James also knows that Regulus' p struggles with broadcasting that factor.

Regulus nods. "Mmh," He hums. "I...I think I'm ready for it," He adds, glancing at James with his large silver eyes. "I...I practically live here now anyways,"

James smiles at this. Regulus does practically live here. James likes to think that he had known this would happen eventually. Smiling at Regulus, he leans in for a soft kiss, joining their lips. This is something James could never be used to; kissing Regulus so tenderly, rather than the needy desperation they had both shown one another previously. This is soft, this is sweet.

Regulus smirks againsy James' lips, pulling them apart. "I like it when you kiss me, y'know," James brushes a hand through his hair, shyly, feeling his cheeks tint slightly. Regulus laughs, a beautiful sound. One of James' new favorite sounds. "I also like it when I make you blush, James,"