ELEVEN

The trial rolls around the next week. James has watched Regulus for the past week. How he anxiously seems to bite at his nails, when he thinks James can't see him.

"Eat your breakfast, Regulus," James utters quietly as they sit opposite one another at the table.

Regulus swallows what he can and simply shakes his head. "M'not hungry," He argues in a soft, defeated tone.

James sighs. "You have to eat. Look, I...I know you're anxious about this-"

"I'm not anxious. I'm just not hungry,"

"Yeah, well the baby might be hungry," James scowls slightly. Upon realizing he is scowling, he tries to soften his features. He sighs quietly. "Sometimes eating helps with nerves. I used to have to eat protein in bulk before big matches. You'll feel better if you have something to line your tummy with,"

They don't speak for the rest of breakfast, but Regulus does eat a little bit more.

Remus ensures that everyone will be in attendance. He does, however, roll his eyes when he spots Dorcas and Marlene carrying a takeaway basket of scones for the celebrations they are sure to take part in afterwards.

"This could take awhile, y'know?" Remus says, glancing towards the basket. "It...it mightn't end now,"

Dorcas nods, clutching the basket in her grip. She wears an ensured smile. "Rems, you and Mary are good at what you do. This is going to end before it's even started,"

"Yeah, we've all got a lot of trust in you two," Marlene pipes up from her seat in the courtroom.

"For better, or for worse, that is," James adds, earning himself a laugh from Peter and Marlene.

Lily sits beside him, her arms folded. "This...this isn't going to be gruesome, is it?" She inquires, her jade eyes flickering between Mary and Remus.

In truth, James hadn't expected her to come. He had owled her hastily the night before, telling her it would mean a lot to him if she showed up for Regulus, stood in his corner and supported him. James had received a simply reply of "I'm coming to support Mary and Remus".

Mary shakes her head, pursing her lips. "We...we don't know, Lil," She says. "It isn't exactly a pretty case,"

Sirius enters the room, Regulus trailing behind him. "Good morning, all. Everyone ready to go out for celebratory drinks after we wrap this up?" He clasps his hands together, glancing over his shoulder at his younger brother. "Except for you, of course!"

Regulus simply sulkily rolls his eyes, offering a murmur of something that James can not identify.

Mary hauls her bag higher up on her shoulder before smiling briefly at them all. "Morning. Harpers solicitor filed a counter motion for slander along with his request for dismissal. Which is a horrible enough move, Remus and I were considering if he's that fucking stupid or if he is just plotting."

Sirius sighs softly, and at Regulus' blank expression, bites his lip harshly. "The only reason to file a dismissal would be to stop the trial and to then file a motion, which would not only necessitate another trial, but need the defense to provide evidence seems rather counterproductive." He hums.

Remus nods as he turns to face Regulus. "It makes no sense. Is there anything you could think of that would make that worth his time?"

"What would make him think the court would neglect the Healer's reports and believe lied, you mean? Is this a full trial?" Regulus wonders. James is sure this is the most he has spoken at once in front of them all.