TWENTY ONE

James feels his breath hitch in the back of his throat.

He is so suddenly aware of Regulus right now; all that he is, all that he has been, all that he will be. Those glittering grey eyes gaze at him, almost daring him to just connect their lips already, to jump in, to get it all over with, to bring upon that sinful feeling of threatory. Regulus' lips themselves are challenging him, twitching at the corners into a wicked, sly kind of smirk.

Regulus parts his lips. "That is, unless you are simply just a coward, Potter," He teases quietly.

James exhales. "You're terrible, you know that, don't you?" Regulus Black is terrible in the best goddamn way humanly possible. He tugs Regulus closer by his hips, interlocking their lips in a fierce, hungry manner. James' hands are cupping Regulus' face, almost gripping him enough to leave a mark, to leave a stain of what they are doing, to produce a mere trace of evidence, of his infidelity.

Regulus kisses back. Their teeth gnash against one another. He whispers against James' lips, hauntingly. "I'm so sick of you pretending, of us pretending that all this isn't strange," Regulus draes in a sharp breath, his version of a shiver. "We shouldn't do these things. But we will regardless,"

James shudders. "You ask for these things. You do know that, don't you? I...I don't understand any of it,"

"Yet you never question it, Potter," Regulus says in between a kiss. "No matter what, you never deny me,"

"Is that what you like? That I'm so complying to you?" James utters against Regulus' lips.

Regulus shakes his head. "You're...you're better to me than anyone else ever has been," He murmurs as James trails them towards the couch. "Just...just show me that it's not just that silly fuckin' Vow-"

"That's....that's what you think it is, isn't it? That's why you think I make sure you're not fallug apart?" James almost curses. How much of his conversation with Sirius and Andromeda had Regulus heard?

Regulus gasps as James trails a kiss down his jaw. "I don't know what to think, Potter. But sometimes, sometimes, you make thinking not so dysfunctional," He hisses as James nibbles at his neck. He digs his fingers into James' dark hair, pulling lightly.

"So why can't you bloody admit it then? Why can't you just tell me things?" James pushes. He has Regulus perhaps where he has always wanted him.

"You have a girlfriend-" Regulus cuts off into a soft gasp. They are an entanglement of limbs on the couch. "I don't like her! I'll say it, I don't bloody like her,"

"Then tell me what you want me to do about her-"

"Fix things with her, you buggering idiot!" Regulus hisses. "You keep saying you will and then I order you to kiss me and you do! Make up your fucking mind," He utters roughly.

James wants to laugh at this. "Fix things with her?" He repeats. "You say that as if we aren't about to-"

"What does this even matter? She won't have to know, I'll be well gone, you'll have a baby, she'll come running right back," Regulus mutters. He isn't making any sense. James is hearing his words, but he can not even begin to comprehend them.

"I...I'm not like you! I'll feel guilty about this-"

"I already feel guilty! But I'm pregnant and I'm fucking horny, okay? And you were right in front of me so either fuck me and feel bad or I'll go find someone in a pub that will," Regulus' voice is gravelly. James wonders if this is merely an idle threat.