Chapter 38

What could Izuku say? He was proud of himself. He watched Shoyo jump off his chair as his mother got out her phone to take a photo of her son and his hero. A rush of warmth filled his chest when Shoyo ran to him and dragged him over for a photo too.

Once everyone was settled in their seats and All Might had left Sano-san took over the conversation.

"Now, Shoyo-kun, I know what happened the other day was very surprising and scary, but I'd like to reassure you that I'm gonna do my very best to help you understand and control your quirk, okay?" Sano said in a sweet voice. Shoyo nodded and held his mother's hand.

"First, have you tried using your quirk at all?" Shoyo shook his head 'no'. "And are you willing to try? You can be honest, it's completely up to you." Shoyo took a moment, his brow furrowing in concentration.

"I-I can try." He said determinedly. Izuku didn't miss the look of surprise on both Ms. Sakai's and Sano-san's faces.

"That is very brave of you, Shoyo-kun." Sano said as she looked back at her notes. "Usually kids don't feel comfortable in the first session."

"Izuku-senpai said that my quirk doesn't make me bad. A-and he said my quirk might do good! But Mama said I have to do this first to find out. And I want to find out!" Shoyo exclaimed.

"Well if you are comfortable, Midoriya-kun had an idea that I'm very interested in. After your quirk came in, did you start filling anything odd around you? Like a string, or a presence in your mind?"

"Um, sometimes when I think about my quirk there's a um, I don't know how to explain it..."

"That's okay, quirks are very difficult to describe." Sano encouraged.

"Is it like a feeling? Or a thought?" Izuku stepped in when he saw Shoyo's frustrated face. "Try to think about your quirk now and say what comes to mind."

Shoyo closed his eyes tightly and sat there for a second.

"It's like a string, but there's more than one. And, and they all are different." Shoyo stated. Izuku smiled.

"What makes them different?" Sano asked.

"Well, um, one is a lot smaller than the other ones. And one is warmer. Oh and that one is shorter, too!"

"How many do you feel? If you could guess?" Sano asked.

"Um, there's a lot... I don't think I can count that high..."

"That's okay," Sano said while taking a quick glance at Izuku with something akin to pride in her eyes. "Sounds like Midoriya-kun might be right. He thinks that your quirk creates a small connection between yours and the people around you's mind. Isn't that cool?"

Shoyo-kun opened his eyes and smiled brightly at his mother.

"Like Papa!" Shoyo stated proudly. His mother smiled proudly as she gave her son a small pat on the head. 

"And you said you can only feel it when you think of using your quirk, right Shoyo-kun?" Izuku asked from his seat. Shoyo turned to him and nodded. "Then you might have a better control of your quirk than we thought." The look of pure joy and awe on the boy's face made Izuku's heart squeeze.

It's been... What? Ten minutes? And I already know I'd be willing to do anything just to keep this boy smiling.

"Midoriya-kun is right," Sano agreed. "This is already a big step in the right direction." She continued making a few more notes before looking at Detective Tsukauchi and Sakai-san in turn. "I believe young Shoyo will only need a minimal of five appointments. This may change as things go on, but just from our conversation today I can tell Shoyo will be just fine."