hanging by a moment // january 27th, 2011

The wind rustled against the tree branches, whisking its way through Manhattan. The chilly air bristled Nova, while her feet moved rhythmically on the crunching snow, as if she was a reindeer prancing through a winter wonderland.

        She walked down the sidewalk with Noah, reversed in a thick stupor and completely oblivious to her surroundings. Nova admired the dancing snowflakes, which had intricately tugged on the cords to her memories. She enjoyed watching snowflakes tumble from the sky, as it casted a pure blanket across all of Manhattan.

        Noah glanced at Nova and laughed. His chuckles pulled her straight from her reverie. Fluttering her eyes, Noah arched his eyebrows, smiling, “So are you coming?”

        Nova’s eyebrows scrunched together unknowingly, “Sorry, I zoned out.”  

        “Ashton’s doing his first gig in two weeks,” Noah said. “Are you coming?”

        Nova peered at him. The elegancy of his words was like a mirage – as if everything was that simple. She shrugged, exasperated. “I don’t know. I mean, he hasn’t asked me and . . .”

        The translucent twilight light shone on the snow. It was glistening, and Noah stared at it intently. He scratched his nose. “Well, he hasn’t really seen you much because of exams and all, so he asked me to ask you.”

        “Are you going?” Nova asked.

        “Yeah, we all are.”

        In the distance, Nova can hear the faint sound of someone strumming the guitar. “Oh,” she muttered. Immediately, guilt had taken over her, and she was suddenly dazed. “I’m not sure . . .”

        “It’ll be fun,” Noah assured.

        She knew, though. But life wasn’t always easy, and some things are more important than others. Although, that didn’t mean that she didn’t care.

        “Where are we going, anyways?” Noah inquired.

        There was a dark shadow of lamp posts casting onto the road. Nova could still hear the muffled sound of a precious melody playing. Slowly and cautiously, her feet had unknowingly followed the source, completely casting off Noah’s question.

        Dumbfounded, Noah nibbled on his lip. He trailed behind Nova, as his cheeks flushed deep in rosette. There was always something mysteriously charismatic about Nova. She possessed so many thoughts that she refused to reveal, and she seemed as though she had carried so many experiences along the way. Noah had always felt something enchanting about her very presence.  

        When Ashton had brought her along with them on their yearly roam of the city, Noah already began to consider her someone exceptionally special. Ashton had barely known her, nor did he understand her past. Noah knew she had sparked his interest, and he wanted to be the one to help her. Perhaps, he could see the despair and betrayal in her eyes that he ended up sympathizing for her.

        Still, Noah never knew of Ashton’s intentions, but he could predict that in the end, one will end up hurt. Ashton was his best friend, and Noah knew him better than anyone else. He knew that there was a chance that Ashton could slowly destroy himself as he tries to mend another’s heart. He thinks that he is the invincible superman, but never realized that he is capable of pain.

        And even if he were bulletproof, he would end up injuring Nova, as if she didn’t already have wounds.

            Then, Nova had halted to a stop. Her footprints imprinted into the snow, and she gaped at what had lain before her. Noah glanced at Nova, and she seemed completely enraptured in the melodic chorus.

            “What is it?” He asked.

            Nova considered his words, and her lips twitched into an evocative smile. “I know this song,” she sighed, her breath gusting billows into the air.

            Noah was bewildered, his brows knitting together. “A lot of people know this song, Nova,” he stated, feeling flustered.

            Nova’s nostalgia pricked her skin like needles. She did not feel wretched as she listened to the song. Instead, she felt lighthearted, like there was no grief weighing upon her shoulders. The corners of her lips jerked into an elated grin.

        “Hanging by a Moment,” she breathed.

        Noah was fazed. “Is it an important song to you?”

        The sun was radiating, and beaming solely at Nova. Noah gazed at her, seeing her more jovial than he has ever seen her. It was pleasant, and in that moment, she looked beautiful.

        “My dad used to sing it,” she affirmed.

        “Used to?” He questioned.

        There was a slight pause that stretched. The tension was overbearing, and Noah could feel it tightening his body. It was like Nova was contemplating what to say, and how to say it. He nearly regretted asking her.

        “Yeah,” she muttered,  as she considered her last letter and let go of her secrets. “He passed away, a while ago.”