✎ letter 08

December 26th, 2010

Dear Ashton,

I am perched against the burgundy window sill, gazing at the stars. It's a wonderful thing. The golden stars; they glimmer of vitality and they make me feel something; a miraculous power that overwhelms my body. It is not pain, for I feel a slow, but steady glow ignite from within.

Often, I am able feel vacancy in my heart, where not even the universe's galaxies are capable of filling the hollowness. I know there are people who care for me, but why do I feel so alone? Why do I feel so empty, Ashton? Perhaps I don't even have a reason myself.

But do you know what reassures me? The glinting clusters high above my head in a world of darkness. The night sky. It was always there when no one else was.

My dad had always been greatly fond of them. They intrigued him. He would tell me about all constellations that had endlessly decorated the sky. He believed in hope, and he believed in miracles. The stars provided him of marvels.

What I speak of, is it peculiar?

My father lugged around many theories that he hung upon his shoulders. If you were to meet him, his head would be held so high. You could instantly recognize his optimism. For one, he admired novas; in fact, he grew passionate for them, so enchanted that he named me after those twinkling beasts. My dad considered novas precious — heroes even, as they were capable of increasing in luminosity, only to return to its original form again. My father told me that stars were much like humans. They were adept in having misery, then, in moments soon after, they were apt in creating euphoria — a sudden brightness.

We mortals will continuously travel back and forth from melancholy and delight, like the shimmering novas. Every single being is able to carry an anguish, like us, as humans, as those who live.

At least, that is what I believe. I really hope you do too.

And I do like to think that my dad is still out there, that he is a supernova today, blazing of radiance. Maybe one day, I will meet him, from the sill of my window.

Love,

Nova