sushi // january 21st, 2011

The reverberating sounds of Noah Calhoun’s pleas echoed across Lia’s bedroom. Nova Hadley stared at the TV, sighing soundlessly, as she flopped onto Lia’s bed. “I’m so craving sushi right now.”

        Lia bit her nails, sighing. “I’ve never even tried sushi,” she said, eyes glued to the image of Noah tugging Allie by the arm. 

        Immediately, Nova had pushed herself from the comfy bed, landing flat onto the floor – thank God Lia’s house was carpeted – and gazed at Lia’s eyes, as if there was a deceiving lie shown beneath her baby blue irises.

        Nova looked shocked, the ‘wait-aliens-actually-invaded-the-earth?’ kind of shocked. And it made her want to whip delightful seafood into Lia’s mouth, just so she can watch her crumble from regret and disbelief, because Nova just loved sushi that much.

        And if she were to ever be heartbroken, she wouldn’t be sprawled on her bed watching reruns of The Notebook as she scooped the frozen sweets out of her tub of ice cream. Definitely not. Nova would be eating Kanpyomakis, and she’d be watching Up, because the first five minutes of Up was the most devastating story she had ever seen — even more devastating than The Notebook and A Walk To Remember combined.

        But instead, Nova’s eyes fluttered shut, and she sunk down to the floor, letting her breath emit slowly. “It’s amazing, beautiful, marvelous, and mouth-watering, how have you never tried it?”

        Lia’s pupils flickered towards Nova for a millisecond, before giving a half-hearted chuckle. “What makes you think I’ve eaten sushi before when I can’t even use chopsticks?”

        Glaring at her, Nova groaned. “Incredulous.”

        “What?”

        Nova pursed her lips, propping her hands onto the ground. “We’re leaving,” she said blatantly.  

        Lia consciously disagreed, because Lia was a hopeless romantic, inevitably in love with the thought of soul mates and true love. She had nearly five shelves of romance novels, a stack of Disney movies, and a box of chick flicks. And of course, upon hearing Nova’s declaration, Lia’s eyes nearly bulged from its sockets.

        Her fingers wrapped around Nova’s arm, like a butterfly cocoon, and she stared at Nova with conspicuous confusion.

        “What do you mean we’re leaving?” Lia asked, “We’re watching The Notebook right now.”

        In that moment, Nova couldn’t endure another second of it. All she wanted was sushi and to no longer be secluded into watching Lia’s chick flicks, no matter how much Lia meant to her.

        “Oh right.” Nova replied abruptly, as her dull eyes flickered to the screen. “The Notebook can wait.”

        And in that moment, Lia was a lion. Her ears were flaring red and her throat grew a vicious lump. She gnawed onto her bottom lip, as if to subdue a furious tornado. “The Notebook cannot wait!”

        Nova’s lips slowly twitched into a smirk, her eyebrows arching. “You’re hopeless,” she muttered bluntly.  

        Lia merely sighed while she buried her head into her knees. “I know.”

        And as Nova sat there, she had realized a vast concept.

        There was something reassuring about being with Lia, and she had only felt that way with two other people on this earth. It was as if the moment she spoke to Lia, there was a hidden glint of understanding. And it was as if the moment she met Ashton, her theories and predictions had drastically altered. And both with which had reminded her so much of her dead father, that a sense of nostalgia had whirled its way back into her mind.