christmas // december 25th 2010

Inhabitants clustered the Christmas festival; clamoring of their blissful presents, miraculous mornings, and eventful evenings. The glimmering décor, brimming with blazing lights, illuminated across the opaque sky, like golden stars beaming for its audience.

        White flakes fell from the dark sky, the crisp air embraced Nova's body, causing shivers to run down her spine. She wore of an ebony lace dress, overlapped by a crimson fur trimmed coat; her hair had been precisely curled, with no absolute flaw. The cardinal lipstick enlivened her ivory face; radiance buzzed from her figure.

        As children roamed freely, often dashing past the tiny girl, Nova had protectively clasped her hand onto her grandmother's arm, worried of her granny's well-being. A puff of air billowed from her grandmother's lips; she was anything but content, afflicted that she had been lugging her granddaughter's day of glee from herself.

        “Honey, why don't you to have fun? You do know that I can care for myself, don't you?” Nova's grandma suddenly blurted.

        In an instant, the young girl immediately shook her head, smiling, “I am having fun Nana.”

        Instead of disagreeing, Mabel firmly held onto her hand, trembling fingertips brushing Nova's smooth skin, pleasantry warmth engulfing her frigid body. Promptly, the 16 year old girl hugged the elder woman, her affection consuming both bodies. Nova's soft voice rang in the surrounding air, whispering in her nana's ear, "Let's go get some drinks — something warm?"

        Repeatedly nodding her head, Mabel agreed, hoping she is able to rid of her granddaughter at last.

        Both women strolled across the trail, embellished with creative lights, often gazing in awe at the wonderful ornaments. As soon as they reached the petite café shop, Nova instantaneously guided her Nona into the area, only to be met with the laughter of both her mother and Adam.

        “Did you both have fun?” Adam's eyebrow rose, questionably.

        Mabel laughed, propping herself down beside her daughter, “Course, we did.”

        Nova's mother smiled brightly, lips twitching into glad beam, “You should go explore the festival; it was quite wonderful. Nana didn't cause you too much trouble, did she?”

        Nova shook her head no, her curly hair imitating her movements; then she self-consciously pulled her hair backwards, “Okay, I'll be back in a few.”

     ✉      ✉     ✉      ✉     ✉

        Nova admired her surroundings; Santa Claus on his tremendous chair, presents and gifts beneath the massive evergreen pine tree, the lady who sung the holiday cheers, accompanied by a mauve guitar, and the children who ran around in joy, spreading their happiness with others. Though, without her grandma, she felt solitary; nothing to do, and no one to talk to.

        A crowd of people entwined her short figure; unnoticed and unmoved by the human being they had been suffocating.

        The snow softly crunched from beneath her shiny charcoal boots, the sound enthralled her, which caused her tense body to relax. She was at ease; calm, until a large body knocked her down; she tumbled onto the blanket of snow.

        "I'm so sorry! Are you alright?"

        Nova's head slowly tilted upward; she wished she hadn't done so, because, her heart began to race, as if she was running a marathon. She blinked twice, in utter shock, God no.

        “Hey, are you alright?” Ashton's hand stretched forward, indicating he was concerned for her contented state.

        Her hands braced herself upward, and then she brushed the snow from her attire. She couldn't seem to speak, for the words had been imprinted in her throat. At last, she managed two words, “I'm alright.”

        God, I'm such an embarrassment. She thought.

        Ashton's hand dropped, slowly. A welcoming smile on his face, his dimples visible; he introduced himself, "I'm Ashton."

        “I know,” she mumbled, her voice whirling from her own grasp.

        “And you're Nova,” he stated, as if knowing her was completely natural.

        Nova, who was entirely surprised, crossed her arms in warmth, her contentment surged from inside her. “I'm Nova.”

        The curly haired boy laughed; then he imitated her, “I know.”

        Nova grinned, staring down at her muggy boots. She knew, if she glanced at Ashton, her knees will grow weak, and she may collapse. How can a human being have so many flaws, and yet, gleam of radiance.

        “Hey, I'm sorry about that, I didn't see you. You're really small." Ashton stated, his hand ruffling his hair. He continued, "I have to go, I'm in a hurry, my little brother's waiting for me, we'll talk soon, okay?”

        “Okay.”

       With that, Ashton was already prancing from her. All that Nova could possibly do was to gaze at him, watching his body fade from her. Then, he swirled around, yelling, in the hopes that she will receive his message, "Merry Christmas Nova!"

        He ran off, jolting Nova with jubilation from head to toe. “Merry Christmas Ashton,” she said.