part two: new year's eve // december 31st, 2010

The air was cold, brisk. Snowflakes tumbled across Manhattan, dancing soundlessly in the night sky as Nova sauntered across the city. The sky was almost somber, murky. Though, the millions of dazzling lights illuminated the night sky in halcyon, while a cast of cheer electrified the metropolis.

        Nova wrapped her crimson fur trimmed coat around her body, enveloping her body in blazing warmth. Her strides were short, almost hesitant, as she maundered towards her school, Northdale. Her thoughts swarmed her mind, like a cluster of bees flocking throughout their hive. Nova played scenarios in her head, wondering about the positivity and negativity. She was whirled deep in a daze, unaware of her surroundings.

        “Nova!” a voice called, instantly and coercively pulling her from her reverie. Gazing up from her jet black ankle boots, she noticed a boy with a dimpled smile and bright eyes. And in that moment, she could feel her breath growing ragged, almost as if she was not taught how to breathe.

        “You're here,” Ashton said, welcoming her with a bright beam as he slowly jogged towards her.

        She was over fifteen minutes late.

        The corners of her lips ascended, and she smiled. “Hey, Ashton,” Nova greeted, her voice sounding suddenly small. It was alien to her; it could have even been mistaken as Zoe, her younger cousin. “I'm sorry I'm late,” she said, and he shrugged, dismissing her apology.

        In a swift movement, Ashton clutched onto her hand, his fingers filled her empty spaces and he held it tightly, thinking that if he were to let go, he was going to lose her. Immediately, Nova inhaled a rushed intake of breath, and she could feel her chest constricting.

        Ambling towards his three friends, he tugged Nova along with him. Then, his voice grew reticent, “It's going to be one hell of a night,” he whispered, grinning with joy. Then, after a moment, syllables swam from his lips, “Trust me,” Ashton said with absolute sincerity.

        Nova knew, even despite Ashton's words. It was going to be one hell of a night, for she was spending it with Ashton. And no matter what was bound to happen, she trusted him more than she trusted herself.

        “Where are we going?” she asked, curiosity etching the corners of her tone.

        Ashton chuckled, his voice blaring melodically in her ears, ringing. Nova swore, she could listen to his laugh every single minute of the day; metaphorically, his laugh was her favourite song on a soundtrack, and she would play it on repeat for every chance she was given. “You'll see,” he mumbled, his voice suddenly growing low. Ashton continued, his attitude was perky, “It's going to be so much fun and you're—“

        A girl with ivory skin and auburn hair interrupted him. “Hey Nova,” she flung her arm across Nova's shoulder, giving her a warm smile; a welcoming smile. Then, Ashton's hand slipped from Nova's, and she could feel her hand craving for his as it grew crispy, desolating of isolation. “I'm Lia Murray, and we're going to be great friends,” Lia announced superiorly.

        When Ashton's hand had slipped from hers, a spark of fear ran through her veins. Assurance was what he held, deep within his palms. Without it, she felt anxious, scared of every possibility.

        Then, Ashton squinted, his eyes turning to slates, “Stop cutting me off, Lia.” Groaning, Ashton muttered hushed complaints; his voice low, “God, this always fucking happens.”

        Lia scowled, “Shut up Ashton.” Then, after a moment, “You just ramble a lot,” she said.

        Ashton watched Nova grow hazy, like a cloudy fog of mystery. She was so silent, but at the same time, she was so loud. Her mind was loud, screaming the millions of thoughts that tangled knots. And Ashton knew that. She was undecipherable, and sometimes, he was unable to see through her hidden façade. And in those rare moments where her emotions crashed before her very eyes, he was able to sense a familiarity of loneliness.