✎ letter 13

January 1st, 2011

Dear Ashton,

You have painted the sky with a burst of colour, a colour I had never seen before. Ashton, you have stained the morning skies with golden splashes. And without your presence, I had witnessed a morbid darkness, and I asked myself then, is this reality or am I dreaming? Have I really lived a life brimming with darkness gazing past me?

I suppose you do not understand what I am speaking of, do you?

I had lived my life under the shadow of the world, believing that it is only brutal, that it will not spare one with grace, despite everything that the person has held to defend itself. It will sacrifice whoever it needs to, because this world we lived in did not have a heart. Our world had harmed millions upon billions of people who could have held so much, who could have accomplished so much.

But those people are dead, and long gone.

And in that period of time, these gruesome thoughts imprinted itself into my mind, etching every aspect that it possibly could.

But then I met you, and you bemused me. How could the world possibly be brutal if it had placed you on earth, and you are still in my presence?

And for weeks, I questioned myself if what I had believed for years had been inaccurate all along. This twist of relief whirled towards me and pulsed through my veins, pumping a twinge of beliefs and solutions. I realized then, that I did not want believe that this world was generally cruel. All I had ever wanted was a contradicting reason to believe that there was another portion of a seemingly decent truth. And hell, I received it from the boy who saw nothing better in this world but the gold.

You have taught me not to dwell on the past, for there are great possibilities to expect in our world, as you are one of them. You had spray-painted my dim skies with brightly coloured splashes, and all my hatred I once beheld has now vanished into the lonely pits of the earth.

And so, I lay sprawled across my bed, scrawling words onto this flimsy paper to express my gratitude towards you. Thank you, Ashton. And I wish you a Happy New Year.

P.S. I had an absolute blast with you on New Year's Eve.

P.P.S. Maybe you're right; maybe 2011 will be one hell of a year.

Yours truly,

Nova

A/N: There are two more chapters until Nova goes back to school considering that it is still the winter break. That means she will not be writing letters every single day due to school for her. This will not change the concept of the story, but I don't want to write every single day because it'll drag out this story too much.