The Confrontation

I got us home in a daze. I'm not even sure if I was obeying speed limits and stop signs but I got us home in one piece. Charlie had been quiet the whole time, the reemergence of our father causing him to put walls up again. We got inside and he stomped up the stairs. This was not the time for attitude Charlie.

"Hey! You're not going to start this again. I know that this is shit! I don't know how many times I need to apologize and explain my reasons for keeping you in the dark but I did it and I can't go back and change it. Nor would I want to. You probably don't remember what it was like in the weeks after mom was killed but I do. You weren't even there when I found her but you were having nightmares. You would retell them in such graphic detail it was like you knew what happened. Eventually the nightmares stopped and you seemed to be forgetting what happened, believing instead that Mom had died in an accident. And I didn't have the heart to correct you. I figured it was more merciful for you to forget what happened then to have to live with the nightmares like I did. So I buried it. Put blocks on the computer so if you ever did start to remember you couldn't look it up and I did my best to give you a normal childhood. So if you want to close me off and hate me for trying to be a parent to my little brother, then fine." With my little tirade over, he went back upstairs, albeit a lot nicer this time.

I grabbed a bottle of wine from the cooler and poured myself a generous glassful. I took it into the living room and sat on the couch for what felt like hours, staring at the note that could blow up my entire life, Andy's entire life. There was. I way he could know. We were never together in public like that.

I was vaguely aware of the front door opening, signaling Andy had come. Jimmy was away for the week, a job interview out of state that he applied to when we decided to separate. It was probably for the best for him to find a way out of town.  I wouldn't put it past my father to hurt him to get to me. "It must be really good if you're drinking at noon." Andy said as he sat down next to me, taking in the half empty wine glass on the coffee table. I didn't say anything as I passed him the note that had accompanied the flowers.

"How did he find out?" Andy asked.

"I have no idea. I don't think there's too much he can do without risking capture. But if you want to end this now, I'll understand. If he can get to Laurie and Jimmy, he can get to Jacob and I'll be damned before I put your kid at risk."

"Well it's like you said, he'd have to risk arrest to alert Laurie of the affair and he can't get any enjoyment from telling Jimmy as you're already separated."

"If you're sure."

"I am. I'm so sure of you and us that I got in contact with a divorce attorney and started the ball rolling on getting divorced." I smiled and hugged him. He pulled me even closer, kissing the crown of my head. We stayed like this until he had to go home, to Jacob, to her.

Making sure that the coast was clear and Charlie wouldn't be making any unexpected appearances, I kissed him goodbye in the foyer and locked up behind him, really looking forward to the day that I wouldn't have to watch him go back to his wife.

🔪🔪🔪
This chapter was a short little filler but it wouldn't have worked to be combined with the next one so you'll get two short chapters of this one today.