You're Judging Me?

*Andy's POV*

It was hard to believe that tomorrow it was already going to be Halloween. I came home from work that night exhausted. We were all feeling the stress of this case, though none of us more than Kat. I hated that she was going through this again and I hated it more that there was nothing I could visibly do to help her. My marriage was over but our priority was Jacob and not upheaving his life anymore than what this last year had done. So I stayed, in an unhappy marriage, with separate beds and snarky side comments fired from both of us. Subtle we were not and I'm sure Jacob had picked up on it by now.

I pulled the car into the garage and went inside, ready for a stiff drink. The house was quiet. That was odd. Laurie's car was here and Jacob was still on suspension for school. I walked into the living room and saw Laurie sitting on the couch, looking at something she had laid out on the coffee table. "Hey, where's Jacob?"

She didn't look up at me when she responded, "He's at a friend's house."

"I'm glad him and Charlie are still hanging out, after everything. Does he need me to go pick him up?'

"He's not at Charlie's. But you'd like that, wouldn't you?"

"What does that mean?"

"What the hell do you think it means?" She asked, throwing the contents of the coffee table at me. I picked it up off the floor. There were pictures of me and Katherine, some in very compromising positions, as well as the business card for the divorce attorney I had hired. "How long has it been going on?"

"It really doesn't matter. We've been separated since we've moved. We only agreed to not divorce for the sake of Jacob and honestly, I think he'd rather us divorce than to live with this silent animosity that just keeps growing between us."

"So you thought cheating was the way out?"

"No but I can't sit here and tell you I'm sorry I did it. That would be a lie."

"I can't believe you would do something like this. You, who portrays to the world that he has such a high moral code."

"You really want to sit here and judge me? You're no better. I know the past two times you've been out of town, you've been in DC, seeing your side piece."

"Well you aren't in a position to say anything since it seems you found one first."

"And I'm not. If that was what was making you bearable to live with these last couple of months, then I won't complain."

"Yeah because this past year has been a walk in the park for me."

"This past year has been hell partly because of you. You couldn't handle the pressures of what happened to Jacob. Fine, I get that. But then you kept nitpicking, demanding a truth that he told you time and time again, but that still didn't satisfy you. And then you, his mother, the woman who carried him for nine months, delivered him and raised him, decided that you needed to be the one to end him. So yeah, this past year has been hell for all of us. Step away from your narcissistic mirror gazing to realize the part you played in that too." She scoffed at that.

"I can't stay here. I'm leaving. Whatever you work up with the attorney, I'll sign because this is killing me." she said before grabbing her purse and keys and leaving. Fuck!

🔪🔪🔪
And now we know what Laurie has been hiding too. Sorry this chapter's so short but I'm working on the next one now and it should be up by later tonight.