Chapter 33: Beginning of the end

Sapnap had known Dream for his entire life. It had started as a rivalry between the two. Both were set on becoming Watchers and there weren't that many spots in that program. The two walked on eggshells around each other for a long time while their dislike grew stronger.It ended in a fist fight. What the reason was that had made them finally snap, was long forgotten. Their little disagreement landed them in a secluded room for 24 hours, where they realized how similar they were. Sapnap used to call it their "enemies to lovers"- arc to which Dream would just roll his eyes at. Their lover-phase came to an end when his friend got together with evil incarnated, more known as Dahlia. He always thought that it was obvious that her entire personality was a bad try at hiding her demonic form. But Dream didn't seem to see it in the same way as Sapnap did.

With that said, Sapnap would scarifie his life for the other and he knew that Dream was a good person. But since his return to the bunker, it got harder and harder to convince himself that he knew the guy at all. Rumors circled that Dream had not only turn on his own people but also kidnapped one of "the others" from a science lab, stabbed his girlfriend and locked both her and her college in the cell. They painted him as some sort of maniac who'd snapped after his trip in the forest.

Dahlia had survived the stabbing and kept convincing the surrounding that Dream was crazy and that she had felt a change ever since he got back. She said that her heart ached for the "poor" guy that he supposedly kidnapped and what he might do to him. He didn't trust Dahlia for shit, but her stab wound was rather hard to dismiss. He kept telling himself that there must've been a reason. The bunker-people ate her stories up and Dream was suddenly seen as the ultimate villain.

Chaos had erupted and the Council leader, also known as Dream's dad, had one day declared that he would go after his son to reassure everyone's safety. It was a bold move, but sure as hell an effective way to remain in control.

Sapnap was still in on the plan of getting rid of this hellhole. Wilbur, Techno and Philza gave him frequent updates on the progress of placing the explosives. Time had passed quickly, tonight was supposed to be the day everything took place. As agreed, they were to give the bunker's residents the choice to leave this place and start over or disappear with it. Wilbur had predicted that it would be few people who accepted their proposal, claiming that most people are just sheep following the herd. If the Council objected, so would most of the residents do as well.

He'd be lying if he said that he wasn't a bit nervous. Sure, he hated the place, but it was also basically all he knew. Quackity and Karl had explained that them, plus George, had decided that they would break free from the bigger group and travel alone for a while. They'd offered him to join and said that it wouldn't surprise them if Dream had been given the same offer. Sapnap had accepted their offer. Although, he was excited, a part of him was worried. Karl had given him the extremely poetic quote: "Nothing grows in the comfort zone." When he'd expressed his concerns. Sapnap had just glared at him, but Karl optimistic spirit was one of his favorite traits. It didn't take long for him to bond with the two after they more or less kidnapped him. However, he could never in a million years have guessed that this would be the outcome. He was literally a part of a group whose goal was to blow up his home.

The leader of the council had left yesterday to go and look for Dream and their absence had caused an unspoken worry amongst the people of the bunker.

The rest of the council did a pretty damn good job at making sure that people saw "the others" as the enemy. Their goal was painfully obvious. It made Sapnap realize that Wilbur was on to something when he said that he didn't believe that many people would except their offer. These people were so formed in the bunker's ways that no one seemed to question anything.

The evening finally arrived and Sapnap carefully snuck out to the place where they had decided to meet. His heart was beating faster than ever before, he couldn't deny that his nerves were acting up. He thankfully made it out of the bunker without anyone noticing and saw the familiar shapes becoming visible in the distance. Everyone stood around a weird looking battery. Sapnap decided to avoid any technical questions as it would just melt his brain.

He noticed that Techno was observing him. The pink-haired man was always intimidating and an ominous smile plus explosives didn't make him any less intimidating.

Techno's monotone voice broke the thick silence. "Are we ready?" No one answered but it seemed as more of a rhetorical question. Now everything would change forever.