Aftermath

Jasmine Johnston's POV
Sister to Alexander Johnston 

Today was my 11th birthday, we were about to have some cake when mum made us get into the car. Both mum and dad are very worried about something.

"Mum, Dad, where are we going?" I asked

"To see your brother," said dad

"You were not supposed to tell her," said mum.

"You wanted to bring her along, she is going to find out anyway," said dad

"Find out what?" I asked

"Your brother has been hurt" replied dad. 'Oh no, please be ok' I thought.

The rest of the ride was quiet and scary. I don't know what happens to him, but he got hurt on my birthday.

'Is this my fault, did I get him hurt' I thought, I mean, I wasn't there when he got hurt. But today is my birthday, so I must have had something to do with it, right? 

As it got dark we arrived at the hospital. 'Why did it take so long, it's never taken so long to get here in the past?' 

We got out of the car and headed inside, mum and dad went straight to the woman behind the desk. I go and look at the rideable horse that is in the room.

"Come in jas" called out mum

"Coming mum," I said as I ran over to them.

We walked through the hospital all I wanted to see was if my brother was alright. We eventually stopped outside a room.

"Right here we go," said Dad with a big sigh as he opened the door.

I saw my brother lying in the bed. "Brother?" I called out as I walked closer 

"Sweetie, I would not do that" dad said, 'no, I want to see my brother'

"Brother?" I said once I got to his bed, but there was no reply, he looked asleep. I hear mum start yelling at someone, I didn't care, I wanted to see if my brother was ok. "Brother? Wake up please" 

"Hi, little one, what's your name?" Asked a man in a suit next to me.

"Jasmine," I said as I poked my brother "brother, wake up, please" 

"He won't be waking up for a little while, little one" 

"Why"

"Because his body is really hurt, so he is asleep so he can heal, but don't worry, we will look after your brother while he sleeps"

"Jasmine, let's go," says dad

"Ok dad," I said. Then I looked at the man "take good care of brother please" 

"I will, I promise," he said, I then ran out of the room to catch up with dad.

(10 years later) 

It's been ten years since that dreaded birthday. For the first couple of years, I had hope because of how young I was. 

But around the age of 15, I realised that he wasn't coming back. And that I made a promise to meet him every day since his accident, on my birthday.

Yes, this drove me to severe depression, but if he was watching me, which I would like to think he is, I want to show him the life he will come back to. 

Because one of his saying he used to tell me I would carry on. 'Smile, not because it would do you any good, not because it will help with the pain, because that's what the world needs to see, so keep on smiling'

Because of those words, he said all through years ago, I kept fighting, kept on surviving. He drives me to excel in life.

He had a crap start, first 4 years of school he learned nothing, told he was too stupid and was a waste of time, the next 2 years were spent getting the basics, like writing and basic math, then his whole secondary school career was spent turning himself from the failure he was into the man he is. 

He managed to pull it back and went from learning how to solve words like happiness, to be able to go to college on an electrical course. 

So I used his will strength and power as an example of what was possible to push me forward. Because of his drive, I got my lawyers degree, joined a successful law firm, climbed my way to the top, and even then I didn't stop.

I then created my law firm and named It in his memory, Alex's willpower lawyers. I was laughing at it, but that didn't stop me, and I kept on pushing until I reached the top. But then it didn't fulfil my need to prove to him my worth, I need more, I just didn't know what else I could do. 

Which has led me to where I am now, at a small family bar. Somewhere I can be left alone when I want, or have someone to talk to.

"Miss jasmine? May we have a word" says a male voice behind me.

"Buzz off, im not in the mood," I said, to say was a day when I wanted to be left alone because it was my birthday and I would visit my brother later. 

"Miss jasmine, im from the company Chromium, and im here about your brother's condition" 

ah yes, Chromium, the company that owned the truck that took out my brother… 'what am I saying, he hasn't been taken out, he is still fighting, he won't give up, not until he has been forced to' I thought, anyway, chromium is the company that owned the truck that put my brother in a coma, and the company that is looking after him in this state.

"What can I do for you then," I asked

"We might be able to wake him up"