Chapter 4

"Oh, you're awake," said a voice.

Astryn opened her eyes. An unknown girl was standing over her, and she was lying in some sort of a laboratory.

"Wh-who are you? Where am I?" Astryn said.

"I am Eloria Deepwater," said the girl. "You are aboard the Frizes' ship, the Clandestine."

Corlys! thought Astryn. "I need to get out of here." she said. "Where are the others?"

"Prince Corlys is preparing a summary of what happened to tell his father. And Princess Alyssa is looking at the defenses of the castle Qis, looking for a weakness."

"Take me to Alyssa," said Astryn. At least she might be reasonable, she thought.

"You were stabbed pretty badly," said Eloria. "You should take some more rest."

Memory came back to Astryn's mind like a flood. Fyre, Trisley, Sinara, Alyssa, Corlys, everything. Astryn gasped, and lay back down on the bed.

"On second thought," she said. "Would you be so kind to call
Alyssa here?"

"Of course," said Eloria.

Alyssa found Astryn sitting on the bed, cradling her head. "Hey, Sand Girl," said Alyssa. "You alright?"

Astryn looked up. "Alyssa!" she exclaimed. "I have so much to tell you."

So she began, telling Alyssa how she had been a secret supporter, how much she believed in the Uprising, and most importantly, she told the Princess about Corlys.

Alyssa snorted. "Corlys?"

"I know you think that I'm crazy, but hear me out," Astryn said.

"No, I understand," Alyssa said. "I was thinking what Corlys might say to that."

"Oh," said Astryn, heaving a sigh of relief. "Anyways, where are we headed?"

"To the castle of Blizzard," said Alyssa. "We must take audience before my lord father before continuing on our adventures with this crew."

"Wait, we have a crew now?" asked Astryn.

"Only you, me, Corlys, and Eloria till now." said Alyssa.

"Pretty solid," said Astryn.

"To be honest, I don't know if my father will let me and Corlys keep this crew," Alyssa said. "I'm a bit nervous when it comes to my father, because he's really strict about not recruiting non supporters."

"But I'm a supporter!" said Astryn. "I've been listening to my mother and the Queen talk for ages, and I don't want anything to do with them!"

Alyssa said, "I believe that, but I don't think Father will."

Corlys walked into the room. "We're ten minutes out from landing," he called. "Oh, hey Astryn, you're awake." he added.

Alyssa snorted. Astryn had to press Alyssa's hand to keep her from speaking.

"I heard we're going to visit Lord Rhaevon," spoke up Astryn.

"So we are," Corlys said.

"I'm excited to see the castle Blizzard," said Eloria. "How does it look?"

Alyssa said, "It simply can't be explained in words. You'll know when you land."

A few moments later, the Clandestine descended into a large clearing in the center of Blizzard. All around the plane, ice sculptures dominated the snowy terrain. At the outer edge, a never ending line of ice figures protected the gate. Blizzard had its own mountain, from which the dynasty which ruled the North got its name. From the Frize mountain, ran a wide and sloping river named the Lisa which covered most of Ivaloria. It was widely believed to be the longest river in the realm, being longer than Iva, the other major river.

Lord Rhaevon Frize welcomed his children warmly. "Father," Corlys bowed. Alyssa did the same.

"It's been a long time," Rhaevon said.

"Too long," said Alyssa.

"Now, tell me of these great adventures of yours." Rhaevon said.

"Can we first get some rest and change into proper clothes?" said Alyssa. "We also have a crew which needs attention."

Corlys beckoned to Eloria and Astryn to come down.

"A daughter of Lovelake will never be unwelcome in Blizzard," Rhaevon smiled. He gestured his steward to show Eloria to a guest room. Eloria bounced off, her eyes darting left to right, drinking in the white beauty of the surroundings.

"Hi," said Astryn.

"Who are you?" asked Rhaevon.

"This is Astryn Sands, daughter of the lady Sinara of Fyre," said Alyssa.

Rhaevon's expression hardened. "Alyssa, show this lady to a cell," he said.

"It's not like that," Corlys said. He explained everything which had happened at Fyre.

"And how do you know this girl is not spying for her mother?"

It was Alyssa's turn to speak up. She told Rhaevon everything Astryn had told her, save the part about Corlys.

Rhaevon remained suspicious. "If this Astryn has information on the Queen, it might prove useful," he said. "It's better to be cautious, but since you advise me against it, Astryn will be shown to her chambers."

"Yay," murmured Astryn.