Chapter 15

"I'm beginning to think we might have needed more than just one jet to fight this battle," said Eloria.

Soldiers perched beneath the plane, ready to attack as soon as the jet landed. Eloria and Alyssa hovered the jet above, trying to get a reading on the number of soldiers waiting to attack them.

"I completely agree," said Alyssa.

"Should we go back to Mins, take some time to repair another jet, and then come back, like I always suggested?" said Vaelor.

"We've come too far to go back," said Eloria. "We need to think of a strategy to find Astryn and Corlys quickly and then leave this place."

"I think I have just the plan," said Alyssa. "We will steer the jet around so we're at the back of the castle. The soldiers will take some time getting there, so me and Vaelor will get down, sneak around the castle and try to find Astryn and Corlys. Eloria, you will steer the jet back up, and move it away to the hills nearby, and make sure to stay hidden. Alright?"

"I have a question," said both Eloria and Vaelor at the same time.

"Eloria?" Alyssa asked.

"How do we keep in contact?" Eloria asked.

"I have these," said Alyssa. She took out a pair of comms and handed one to Eloria.

"Why does this have a C engraved on it?" asked Eloria.

"Because it belongs to Corlys," said Alyssa. "Mine has an A engraved on it."

"Corlys? I feel like that's a long story," said Eloria.

"And certainly not one to be discussing about now," said Vaelor. "Alyssa, why do I have to go down with you and do all the fighting?"

"First, you won't do all the fighting," said Alyssa. "Second, I want to see how good or bad you are at combat. Third, you can't really be trusted with the plane unless you suddenly decide to ditch us and fly away out of fear."

"That's not fair!" protested Vaelor.

"Nothing ever is fair," said Alyssa. "Eloria, steer!"

They flew to the back of the castle, and as anticipated, it was empty. The soldiers could be heard shouting from the front, giving orders to go behind."

"Vaelor, jump!" shouted Alyssa. She did the same, and landed rolling on the mud softened by rain. A moment later, Vaelor landed, though much less gracefully. By the time he stood up, his face was full of mud.

"You have mud on your face," said Alyssa.

"I can taste it," said Vaelor. He wiped the mud off, and the two of them continued into the castle.

"Eloria, can you hear me?" Alyssa whispered.

"Loud and clear, boss," said Eloria. "Soldiers are starting to trickle into the back now, so you better hurry up."

"We're in," said Alyssa. "Fly the plane away and hide it, but keep it as close as you can. Good luck."

Eloria obeyed. Alyssa and Vaelor started opening doors and windows.

"Wouldn't it be better if we had an actual guide who's been here before?" asked Vaelor.

"I've been here before," said Alyssa.

"Oh," replied Vaelor. "That's certainly reassuring."

After a while, it felt like they had opened all the doors to no result. But Alyssa kept going. "Until and unless a soldier sees you, open all the doors, even the ones you have opened before," she instructed Vaelor. "We might have missed something."

Vaelor did the same, until he had the unfortunate sudden meeting with a guard at one door.

"Hey," said Vaelor, scared inside.

"Move along," said the guard. Vaelor realized the guard didn't know him, but he thought he could extract some information out of him.

"Well, I'm here to see the prisoners," said Vaelor, deepening his voice a bit.

"Prisoners?" asked the guard.

"Yes," said Vaelor. "If you might recall, there was a female and a male who were transported here. My Queen Trisley wishes to see them."

"Are you equipped with her eyes, then?" quipped the guard.

Vaelor thought to get a little creative. "I am the Queen's son," said Vaelor.

At this, the guard showed signs of suspicion. Finally, after taking a long look at Vaelor, the guard snatched up his alarm. "We have an infiltrator in the castle," he said calmly, and then punched Vaelor in the stomach, knocking his air out.

Alyssa came running to his rescue. "Idiot, what have you done?" exclaimed Alyssa.

"Alyssa Frize, stop right there!" said the guard.

"And who do you think you are?" said Alyssa. She drew her sword.

The guard bowed, as if in agreement. Then he brandished his own sword, and attacked.

The dance Vaelor saw was the dance he'd remember for his entire life. Alyssa fought with similar ferocity and grace, and the guard was no match for her. In no time, he was lying dead at her feet.

"Run!" Alyssa shouted. "We go out now!"

Alyssa and Vaelor ran back through the castle, trying to find the back passage. "Eloria!" Alyssa shouted. "Bring the jet back to the position!"

"Right away," came the reply. Seconds later, Alyssa and Vaelor stood fighting on the mud outside Qis, while soldiers kept coming at them from different directions.

Suddenly, Alyssa heard a shout. She looked to the direction of the sound, and saw a long and narrow pod levitating in the air, and on it were none other than Astryn and an unknown person.

"Astryn!" Alyssa shouted back. She cut a red path to the pod, with Vaelor at her feet. Now that they were in an actual battle, Vaelor had managed a series of attacks against the soldiers.

"Where's Corlys?" said Alyssa.

"I don't know," said Astryn. "We just escaped and flew with the speed of sound and cut through thousands of soldiers and escaped none other than Hywell Heirson and I don't know maybe Corlys fell on the way-"

"Alyssa, we need to go!" said Vaelor, pointing. Eloria had returned, piloting the jet and firing the guns in the soldiers' midst.

"We're using those planes now?" remarked Astryn.

"Long story," said Alyssa. "Come down, Eloria!" she shouted.

Astryn and the unknown person got off the pod, and the person switched off the pod and tucked it under his arm.

"This is Gryff," said Astryn. "He's Trisley's son."

"Son?" Alyssa said, shocked.

"Another long story," said Astryn. "For now, escape from this battle!"

Once they were all safely in the jet, Eloria steered it past the battle and started the long journey back to Mins.