Chapter 19

"Whoa," said Vaelor. "This is beautiful."

He landed the jet on the clearing in the center of Blizzard. Around him, the castle stretched on and on, where finally the ice sculptures marked its end. 

Soldiers had already ran up to him. "What business do you seek?" asked one.

Vaelor raised his tiny white flag, which was so small it looked pathetic. "I am here to seek an audience with Lord Rhaevon. I was sent by Alyssa Frize."

"We best take this to the lord," said one of the soldiers.

"If it's from Alyssa, it can't be good," said another

"If you would kindly take me to Lord Rhaevon," prompted Vaelor.

The soldiers bowed, and soon he entered the ice-cold castle of the Frizes. Outside, the Frize mountain rose tall and proud, with the river Lisa running down its body.

"Who are you?" asked Rhaevon, curtly.

Vaelor had prepared himself. According to Rhaevon's description given by Alyssa, he would be hard to impress.

He straightened himself, and said, "I am Vaelor Mist, son and heir of Lady Kathryn Mist of Likemist. I am sent here as a messenger from your daughter, the Lady Alyssa. She wishes to inform you that there will be a great battle at Qis soon, and begs your assistance in the fight. If the armies of the North aid us, it would be-"

"Alyssa begs?" said Rhaevon. "And where is Corlys, I ask you?"

"Corlys is safe with us," tried Vaelor.

"I know you're lying, Vaelor," said Rhaevon. "Or else it'd be Corlys who stood before me now, asking for assistance, not begging."

Vaelor had run out of other options. "Your son is likely dead," he snapped. "And it's all because of you."

Rhaevon slowly looked at Vaelor. "What?" he said.

"That mission you sent him on," said Vaelor. "Was that so necessary? Sending Corlys from one mission to another, never fearing for his life?"

"I thought he was too strong!" protested Rhaevon. "He always defeated any challenge which came before him, from his childhood!"

"Apparently, Lord Gyros Deepwater was stronger," threw back Vaelor. "He managed to kill Corlys and mortally wound Alyssa as the castle of Daystridge crumbled around them. Alyssa would be dead if Astryn and Eloria hadn't escaped from this very castle that day."

"That was an act of treason!" said Rhaevon.

"Which saved your daughter's life," replied Vaelor. "Or are you so deep in stereotypes that you consider your son above your daughter?"

Rhaevon flinched. Vaelor knew he had hit the mark.

"So you did consider Corlys as better than Alyssa," said Vaelor. "You overestimated Corlys, but underestimated Alyssa. You thought her life was expendable."

"I never thought she was expendable!" exploded Rhaevon. "I care for both my children, no matter whether it be Alyssa, or Corlys."

"Well, that explains how you expect Alyssa to beg, when you expect Corlys to just ask like he and you are long time friends," continued Vaelor.

Rhaevon started to rise. "Not so fast," said Vaelor. "Listen to my proposition first."

"Say it," said Rhaevon.

"Help us, and you will put Corlys's ghost to rest," said Vaelor, letting acid creep into his tone. "You will be rewarded for your involvement in the rebellion when we win this battle, yes, but you'll be doing a greater favor to Corlys."

Rhaevon nodded. "I will help you," he said. "Tell Alyssa to send a message when she is ready."

Vaelor smiled. "Well, I'll take my leave then!"

He left Rhaevon as the latter sank back into his throne. He boarded the jet, and flew back to Mins.

"Mission successful," he reported to Gryff. "Although it did take a bit of lying and a bit of emotional damage, Rhaevon will join us with all the North."