Chapter 7

"It's made by Lovelake," Eloria whispered to herself. "Oh, it's made by Lovelake," she repeated.

Alyssa soon came to her room. "We've changed course. Come with me to the main hall."

Eloria said, "Are you sure I'm allowed?"

Alyssa came in the bunk. "Look, even if the device which Trisley used was made by Lovelake, I have no doubt that you did not know anything. And no one said anything about not being allowed."

"But Corlys?" asked Eloria. She hadn't even looked at him since the revelation.

"I don't care about Corlys," said Alyssa. "Plus, he's wondering why you, a Deepwater, would reveal the treachery yourself."

"That's true," said Eloria. She accompanied Alyssa to the hall, where some soldiers were gathered.

Corlys was at the head of the hall. "I was given a personal mission by my father." he said. "He told me to go to Daystridge after securing Lady Sinara, and investigate the court scene. Now that Lovelake's betrayal has been revealed, it only makes the cause better for us to go to Daystridge."

One of the soldiers asked, "Prince Corlys, why is she here?" pointing to Eloria.

"I may have proof that she was not part of the conspiracy," said Corlys, carefully avoiding Eloria's gaze.

"To Daystridge it is, then," said Alyssa.

After two and a half hours, a small band of soldiers finally set foot inside the castle of Daystridge. The castle lived up to its name. By day, it looked beautiful in sunlight, but as the light dimmed, the castle became dull.

Like Fyre, Corlys, Alyssa and Eloria found Daystridge empty as well.

"Search the castle for any projectors!" Corlys commanded. The soldiers dispatched themselves, leaving only Eloria, Alyssa, and Corlys in the entrance.

They advanced slowly. "Isn't it strange we find castles empty?" asked Alyssa.

"Probably evacuated," said Corlys.

"That would mean a spy," said Eloria.

The siblings looked at her, and Eloria realized. "I didn't mean it that way," she explained.

"I don't want to believe that the people who built our awesome plane are traitors," said Corlys.

"I don't too," Eloria murmured.

"But, I'm still suspicious of you," continued Corlys. "You may have no part in the betrayal, but you may have had one too. Until we have considerable proof, I'll keep you under watch."

"Under watch is better than a cell," Alyssa said.

Suddenly, Alyssa slipped. She was caught by Corlys, who barely managed to pull her up.

"Are you alright?" Eloria asked, kneeling beside Alyssa.

"Why do I feel like there's a huge hole in front of us?" said Alyssa, breathless.

"Because there is," Corlys said. Eloria got up and followed Corlys and his lantern. Before them lay a great hole, which seemed to be expanding rapidly. Eloria almost fell as it expanded, but she managed to take back her feet.

"Careful," said Corlys. He retreated.

Alyssa, now standing, said, "We should get out of here, and fast."

"Sure," said Eloria. The three of them ran back to the entrance, but they found it barred.

"What in the-?" Corlys muttered as he stared at the lock.

Alyssa took out her sword and slashed through the lock. It didn't even make a dent.

"We're trapped," Eloria said. "Someone was anticipating us."

The castle rumbled. Loose stones fell from the ceiling.

"This place is about to go down," said Corlys.

"It must be because of the hole," said Eloria.

"It is," said a familiar voice.

Gyros Deepwater stepped out of the shadows.

Alyssa bared her sword. Corlys did the same.

"Father?" Eloria could scarcely believe her eyes. "What are you doing here? Are you even here?"

"I am," said Gyros. "I was sent by Her Grace to capture that one," he said, pointing at Corlys.

"Well, you'll never have that one," Alyssa and Corlys said at the same time, then looked at each other.

"At Lovelake, you refused my offer of a feast," said Gyros. "That was clever of you. I planned to capture you then and there, but your sister here made it out with you and my daughter, who did not have to get involved."

"Involved?" Eloria spat. "I respect the Frize! Trisley is a pretender and a tyrant to the throne which rightly belongs to King Qistorm!"

"Who has disappeared," said Gyros, calmly. He turned to the siblings. "Must it come to a fight?"

More stones rained upon them. "It must," said Alyssa, and charged.

Lord Gyros unsheathed his sword and parried Alyssa's strike in a single swift movement. Corlys locked him in combat, while Alyssa tried to stab him from the bottom. All of this was in vain.

Both the siblings were half the swordsman Gyros was. Alyssa suffered cuts to her face and hands, but still she fought on grimly, as stones and pebbles rained down.

"Guys!" Eloria shouted. "This place is about to go down!"

Corlys looked to her, and in that one second, Gyros found his chance. He stabbed Corlys through the leg. Corlys lost his footing, and fell at Gyros's feet.

"No!" Alyssa shouted. Weakened, she tried a savage cut to the chest, but Gyros parried it easily. The traitor lord stabbed Alyssa through her chest.

"Alyssa!" Eloria screamed. "Father, let go of this madness, please!"

"I have completed my mission," said Gyros. Holding Corlys in his arms, he retreated back towards the big hole. He tossed Eloria the key.

"Since you are my daughter, I'll allow you to escape," said Gyros.

Eloria picked up Alyssa's limp body. She heard a heartbeat, and heaved a sigh of relief.

Then the castle started falling. Tons of stone rained upon them, and huge chunks covered Gyros and Corlys from view.

"No!" screamed Eloria. She opened the lock and thrust open the door, running out with Alyssa in her arms.

The Clandestine was just in the yard. Some chunks of stones had affected it, but no great damage was done.

Eloria ran aboard the ship. First, she went to the sick bay. She took out the cryo chamber she had noticed when she first arrived and let Alyssa down into it, freezing her and slowing down her wound.

Then she ran to the main deck. "Set course for Blizzard!" she yelled. The plane took off by itself, and made its way through stones and pebbles up into the air.

Eloria sat down on a chair, staring at the empty plane.