Chapter 13

Encamped on Mins, Alyssa couldn't get over the fact that she had lost yet another team member. 

No matter how many times Eloria clarified that it wasn't Alyssa's fault, it didn't stop making Alyssa feel that the world was crashing down on her. First, she had lost her own brother, who she loved more than anyone in the world, and then her close friend had been abducted by the same person she thought she had successfully captured and subdued. 

It really was a depressing feeling, as she didn't take part in the revels after their victory over the Lovelakers. Even though Mins hosted a mighty celebration, and Eloria came to her multiple times, asking her to come, Alyssa wouldn't move. She kept staring at the broken wings of the Clandestine, thinking that she had lost it all.

Meanwhile, Eloria's mood had been dampened by Alyssa's sadness. She took part in the celebration alongside Vaelor, who seemed perfectly fine even though they had all lost a very dear friend. 

"You okay?" said Vaelor, sitting beside her. 

"It's the obvious," Eloria said. "Why aren't you bothered by it?" she asked.

"Who said I'm not?" said Vaelor. "I am, but I know you and Alyssa will find Astryn again. Whatever happens, you always get through. I've always believed in that."

Eloria blinked. "Okay, philosopher," she said. "I'm going to check on Alyssa."

The moment Alyssa saw Eloria, she gave voice to her idea. "Can we fix the plane?"

Eloria shook her head. "We could, but we would need resources far beyond our reach. Mins has some of them, but rocks and minerals won't solve every need."

"You don't understand my meaning," said Alyssa. "Can we fix one of the Lovelake planes?"

"I need to see how badly they're damaged first," said Eloria. 

"Two are left," said Alyssa. "That beast Sinara stole the best. The two side ones are still remaining, though none of them crashed."

"Even if we do fix one of them, where do we go?' asked Eloria.

Alyssa said, "Back to Qis, where this madness started."

"You did not have to do that," said Corlys.

Gryff threw up his hands. "You didn't tell me not to tell anybody!" he said.

Astryn's head was spinning. Corlys liked her too? But no, this was not the place to think of it, not now.

"Hey, Gryff," she managed.

"Hey, new girl who is.. a friend of my friend here," he finished quickly, avoiding a glare from Corlys.

"Tell me about yourself, then," said Astryn.

"Well, I know I'm the son of a King and I'm meant to be my mother's heir," said Gryff.

In the middle of his speech, Astryn picked up a pebble from the ground.

"What are you doing?" Gryff asked. 

Corlys, understanding, tried to extend a hand to stop Astryn, but it came a second too late. Astryn threw the stone with all her force, and it hit Gryff right in the forehead.

"Come on!" said Corlys. "We could have escaped in some other manner, not by killing my friend!"

"He's not dead," said Astryn. "Can that pod fit two?"

"Only one way to find out," said Corlys. Astryn jumped on it first, and then Corlys jumped behind her. 

"How do I steer?" said Astryn.

"It steers itself!" said Corlys. "Just shout out the command!"

"Wait, like the Clandestine?" asked Astryn.

"Just say it!" said Corlys. 

Behind them, a figure appeared in the dim light. 

"Heirson is here!" shouted Corlys. "What are you waiting for?"

But Astryn was looking down at Gryff, lying unconscious. "Get Gryff between us!" she said.

"What? Are you crazy?" said Corlys. "This pod was made to withstand one person, much less three!"

"Stop right there!" a voice boomed from behind.

"Just bring him here!" screamed Astryn. Corlys jumped down, and hopped back up with Gryff's body in his arms.

"Take us to Mins!" Astryn shouted. The pod jolted a bit, then slowly took flight, flying up the hole as the infamous Hywell Heirson finally appeared beneath.

"You shall not escape!" he shouted.

"Too bad, we already did!" Astryn shouted back. 

"Hold on!" said Corlys, and the pod started turning.

"We needed practice for this," said Astryn, slowly feeling airsick.

The pod turned to its correct direction, and zipped away to Mins.