Chapter 29

"Follow me," said Lady Lara from the sky.

Alyssa closed Rhaevon's eyes. "Rest easy, Father," she said, wiping a final tear from her eye. She struggled to her feet, and followed Lady Lara, who was heading for the cannons.

"Follow us!" shouted Alyssa. Astryn, Eloria and Gryff ran after her, their soldiers at their heels.

Lady Lara reached the cannons first. She curled her fingers inward, and a cannon crumbled into itself, breaking into pieces and killing the cannon staff.

"Last one is for you," she called down. "I'm going to go help the remnants of Lord Rhaevon's army."

"Go!" shouted Alyssa. Running, she leapt over a cannon and slid down the cylinder, surprising the men behind. She killed four of them single handedly. Astryn and the others reached Alyssa soon enough, and it was a bloodbath.

Until Lord Dusklyn appeared with his huge rear guard, bolstered by the forces of Lord Kolys Lima.

"Alyssa Frize!" shouted Lord Dusklyn. "You have tricked me before, but you will not trick me now!"

"Hey, Lord Dusklyn!" shouted Alyssa. "I'll give you ten seconds to reconsider this attack. If you lay down your arms, you will be pardoned when we take the throne. If you don't, you will be killed."

Ten. Surprisingly, Alyssa saw that Dusklyn had fallen quiet. He conferred with Lord Kolys Lima in whispers.

Nine. Alyssa saw Lord Kolys waving his hands, and pointing at their army in general. Lord Dusklyn shook his head.

Eight. Lord Dusklyn exclaimed something too soft for Alyssa to hear, and Lord Kolys hung his head.

Seven. Lord Kolys looked at Alyssa through the battlefield, and said something which made Lord Dusklyn fume even more.

Six. "I have made my decision!" shouted Lord Dusklyn. "This traitor Lord Kolys Lima warns me to lay down my weapons and swear fealty to you, but I will never do that! I am Lord Harys Dusklyn, and I do not betray!"

"It would seem Lord Kolys is the smarter of you both," said Alyssa. "Because we have one weapon you will never have."

She tried to gesture dramatically at the sky. "The Crimson Enchantress!" she announced.

Lord Dusklyn scoffed. Behind Alyssa, nothing happened.

Alyssa cleared her throat. "I said, the Crimson Enchantress!" she said again.

Suddenly, Lord Dusklyn's eyes widened. A shadow fell over Alyssa and her friends.

"Wait," said Alyssa. "Why is the sky not turning red?"

"You should probably look up," said Gryff.

Alyssa looked up, and saw the greatest sight so far.

The Clandestine was hovering above them, with guns raised. Lady Jade, Vaelor, and Lady Kathryn sat in the main control room.

"Let's go!" shouted Astryn. The army ran towards Lord Dusklyn and his men.

The Clandestine followed, with its new guns already mapping out the terrain. Inside, Vaelor and Lady Jade had gone to man the two guns.

"Fire!" shouted Lady Kathryn. Lady Jade fired upon the enemy, who broke and ran.

Eloria ran and pushed Lord Dusklyn to the ground. "You are Lord Harys Dusklyn, and a really stupid man," she said.

"Spare me, please!" pleaded Lord Dusklyn.

"No, definitely no," said Eloria. "If people in the underworld ask you who killed you, you can say Lara instead of Eloria." She plunged her sword into Lord Dusklyn's chest, who gave a last shuddering breath and lay still.