Chapter 17

"I'm guessing you didn't find Corlys in the dungeon we just blasted," said Astryn.

"No, I didn't." said Alyssa.

"I have never seen you so frustrated," said Astryn. "What happened down there?"

"What happened is that she tried to risk her own life for me and for us, and I rescued her," said Gryff, stopping by them. "You know, I would appreciate some thanks."

Alyssa ignored him.

"You did what?" said Astryn.

"She accepted single combat from none other than Hywell Heirson, and would have died if Hywell hadn't been so bent on taunting me." said Gryff.

"She didn't ask you," said Alyssa.

"Maybe I did," said Astryn.

"You really should learn some gratitude, Alyssa," said Gryff.

Alyssa ignored him again.

"You shouldn't go beyond your limits, Alyssa," said Astryn.

"But Corlys-" started Alyssa.

"Corlys wouldn't want you to go to those lengths for him," said Astryn.

Surprisingly, Alyssa nodded her head. "Winning this war is more important right now," she said. "But promise me, after the Uprising is done with, we will find Corlys, even if it requires us to go to the ends of Ivaloria."

"We will," said Astryn, clasping Alyssa's hand. "We will."

"Leave me alone now," said Alyssa. Astryn left, and Gryff was starting to leave too, but Alyssa said, "Not you, Gryff. I need to talk to you."

Gryff stayed back. Once Astryn was completely out of earshot, Alyssa told Gryff to sit beside her.

"Thanks for saving me back there," said Alyssa.

"Finally," said Gryff.

"No, I'm serious," said Alyssa. "I used to believe that Corlys was the leader of this rebellion, that he would bring us all to victory, but no. I must do it in his stead."

"You'll make a great leader," said Gryff.

"Maybe," replied Alyssa. "In our childhood, our father Rhaevon always used to consider Corlys the superior. He would get practice with the best swordsmen, sometimes with Father himself, but I was forced to sit in my room and do nothing. Corlys used to come back later and teach me himself, and I grew better at the sword only because of him. Once Father saw me getting better, he quickly started appointing both of us on missions, but Corlys always used to get the better ones. I used to get missions like delivering things to people. Corlys, on the other hand, got missions like returning stolen items, dealing with robbers, murderers, and so on. I used to sneak about the Clandestine with Corlys and help him whenever my missions didn't overlap. Through it all, Corlys always remained my friend and brother. If it weren't for him, you wouldn't see me in the position I am in today."

"Okay," said Gryff. "But why are you telling me all this?"

"Because I have taken a liking to you," said Alyssa, smiling.

"Okay," Gryff said, momentarily deprived of words. He was rescued by Eloria shouting from the front. "We're circling above Mins right now!"

"We'll continue this later," said Alyssa, still smiling. She gripped Gryff's hand, and went out.

"That did not just happen," said Gryff to himself.

When the jet landed, the Lady of Mins herself was there to meet them.

"It's good to finally meet the famed Alyssa Frize," said Lady Jade Miina.

Alyssa bowed, and the others did the same. "It's an honor to be in your presence, my lady," Alyssa said.

Lady Miina laughed. "Now, to serious matters," she said. "I have put my best repair men to work on your plane, but I fear it may take a lot of time before it is able to be flown."

"We will make use of the jet for the time being, then," said Alyssa.

"Follow me," instructed Lady Miina. Alyssa ran after her, Astryn and the others at her heels.

Lady Miina led them to her castle. The stronghold of Mins was made of stone, four towers rising up and a keep in between. In some places, precious stones and minerals had been engraved. Inside of the keep were the Great Hall, bedrooms, and the Dining Room. The Dining Room was the longest, fitting a total of seven hundred chairs.

Lady Jade seated them in the Great Hall. "Tell me," she said. "Did you kill Hywell Heirson?"

"It would seem so," said Alyssa. "We brought down a whole hill upon him, so he's probably dead."

"Great!" said Lady Jade. "We need all we have to overthrow the cruel rulers who rule us from Heirland. All of them are brutes and monsters."

"My lady, we need to win this war first," said Alyssa.

"I understand," said Lady Jade. "But how?"

"We begin planning now," said Alyssa. "This is officially the beginning of the end."