Chapter 24

"Well, we march tomorrow," said Astryn.

"We all might die," said Vaelor.

"Or we might get taken captive," said Eloria.

"Or, we might win this war and defeat Trisley once and for all," said Alyssa. She had gathered her crew for the last night before they marched, to share a happy evening together.

"This might be the last time we're all in the same room together," said Vaelor.

"It won't," said Alyssa. "I know it won't."

"It might," went on Vaelor.

"If it indeed is, which it isn't," said Astryn, avoiding a glare from Alyssa, "I'd like to say that you all are the best friends I could ever hope to have."

"Me too," said Alyssa. "When Corlys first raised the idea to form a crew, Father strictly decided that it'd be only me and him. But you all are here for very special reasons, reasons that I need not elaborate on."

"Why are we doing this again?" said Eloria. "I feel like crying."

"Don't cry," said Vaelor. "It'll be okay, we will win tomorrow."

"Not about that," said Eloria. "The thought that I'm going to face my father - Lord Gyros - again after what he did to Corlys makes me want to stay safe at Mins."

"You have that option too," said Alyssa.

"No," said Eloria. "I will go and see the battle won."

"Good," said Alyssa. "We all will face people we would rather not, but it's inevitable."

"Like me meeting my mother again," groaned Gryff. "Painful."

"And me facing Father again," said Alyssa.

"I'm going to face Sinara again, you all," said Astryn.

"We don't need to give any more examples," said Alyssa. "The point is, we are going to win tomorrow. I just wanted to share this evening with you all, so that we can go into battle tomorrow with a happy mood."

Gryff snorted. "Can you ever go into a battle with a happy mood?"

"Maybe not, but we can try," said Alyssa.

"Yes, we definitely can," said Astryn.

Eloria and Vaelor nodded agreement.

"At least we can agree on one thing then," said Gryff. "Trisley will be dethroned, and taken captive."

"Yes," said Alyssa.

Just then, a messenger came running into their camp. "Lady Lara Lym requests your presence, Lady Alyssa," he said.

Alyssa rose, and followed the messenger. They went to Lady Lara, who was sitting at the centre of a ring of stones.

"Come here," said Lady Lara. Alyssa jumped across the stones to the centre, where the lady moved her fingers across the smallest ring. "Trisley Qisa," she whispered.

The stone gave way to glass, and Alyssa saw Trisley - the real Trisley, not a projection- shouting commands. Around her, Alyssa saw lords, like Lord Dusklyn, Lady Sinara Fyre, Lord Kolys Lima, and more. Before her stood a vast army.

"What are our odds against that?" said Alyssa.

"Well, I think with the forces of Blizzard and Lym alone, we could keep them at bay, but watch," said Lady Lara.

Alyssa looked down. She realized she'd missed Lord Gyros Deepwater last time. He now led three big cylinders mounted on wheels. At Trisley's gesture, the cylinders fired a black sphere. Lady Lara moved her fingertips, and Alyssa saw the destruction the cylinders wrought.

"They're calling them cannons," said Lady Lara.

"I'll have to improvise, then," said Alyssa. She left Lady Lara and returned to her camp with her friends.

"They have cannons," she said.

"Father finished that project?" said Eloria. "He told me it'd not be finished till the next two years!"

"Looks like he accelerated," said Alyssa. "Lady Lara showed me three big cylinders firing black spheres in the sky. The spheres acted like some kind of missile and annihilated the surroundings."

"See? That's the best my mother can do," said Gryff.

"We have to find a way to disable or break the cannons," said Astryn. "Or else if they keep firing, our army will stand no chance."

"Give me this night to think of a plan," said Alyssa. "Go sleep now, tomorrow we have to march. Good night, my crew."

"We're all going to die," whimpered Vaelor.