Chapter 9

"Where is Corlys?"

"He has disappeared," said Eloria. "The last time I saw him, my father was holding him tight in his arms as Daystridge crumbled around us."

"What did I miss, since then?" Alyssa croaked.

"Drink some water first," said Eloria. She handed Alyssa a glass, explaining everything which had happened since she returned to Blizzard.

"You froze me?" Alyssa said. "Freezing a Frize. That's ironic."

"Humor," noted Astryn. "You're getting better."

Alyssa turned to face Astryn. "Thanks for your courage," she said.

"Yes, without her, I'd certainly have been intimidated by Lord Rhaevon and give up on you," said Alyssa.

"Wait a minute, please," said Vaelor. "Who are you? Why am I here? And a thousand other questions?"

"Someone explain everything to this kid," said Astryn.

"Hey!" protested Vaelor. "I'm not a kid!"

Alyssa reassured him, and explained everything about the Uprising.

"But wasn't Lovelake and all its territories a supporter?" asked Vaelor.

"They were, until Lord Gyros turned traitor, and captured Corlys," said Alyssa.

"Can he join our crew?" asked Eloria.

"Sure," said Alyssa. "We do need an engineer, and it's good that we found one as famed as the maker of the Reviver."

Vaelor looked at Alyssa, confused. "I was being sarcastic," said Alyssa, laughing.

"So, what next?" said Astryn. 

"We should go back to Blizzard," said Eloria. "Lord Frize must be convinced that me and Astryn are traitors by now."

"I'm not going back to my father," said Alyssa. "He'll just keep us in the castle under his safety. I need to go find Corlys."

"I support Alyssa," said Astryn. "I mean, we've got the flying ship, and you all know how strict Rhaevon is."

"I don't," said Vaelor.

"You don't count," replied Astryn.

"That's two against one," said Alyssa.

"So we find the legendary Corlys Frize, who's supposedly been kidnapped by the famous Lord Gyros Deepwater," summed up Vaelor. "What first?"

"We capture my mother for real, this time." said Astryn.

"You sure?" asked Alyssa. "We don't know where on Ivaloria Sinara could be hiding. We could come upon her projection anywhere, but we wouldn't know her true location."

"Then we go to her liege Lord first," said Astryn.

"Lord Dusklyn?" Alyssa said.

"Yes, Lord Harys Dusklyn," Astryn confirmed. "Trisley didn't trust my mother that much to allow her into her secret hideout, so I'm pretty sure she'll be hiding in Dune."

"We send Eloria first, then," reasoned Vaelor. "No one knows yet that she's with us."

"You can go too, right?" said Alyssa.

"My disappearance should have been noted by now, but okay," said Vaelor.

"It's settled, then." said Alyssa. "Set course for Dune!" she yelled.

Some time later, the Clandestine docked at a desert near Dune Castle. Vaelor and Eloria walked to the castle.

Dune was built upon the longest and the oldest desert of Ivaloria, stretching upon Dune as well as Thorn and Sonir. The castle was built of a red and orange sandstone, carved to form a huge design, stretching over the broad building. Inside, there was a small oasis, preserved to provide water to the castle. That was the castle's only water supply. In case of emergencies, water was imported from the rivers Iva or Lisa, both of which were nearby.

Eloria and Vaelor passed the oasis. "We want water," said Vaelor. "We are lost in this desert."

The guards, sympathetic, led them into Dune's great hall, at the head of which Lord Harys Dusklyn sat on his sandstone throne.

Halfway to the throne, Eloria dropped dramatically. "We need water, my lord," said Vaelor. "My wife can't take it anymore. Please, help us."

Eloria used that opportunity to look around. Astryn had described Lady Sinara to her, but Eloria found no one who matched those.

"What is your name?" said Lord Dusklyn,

"Welyn," said Vaelor. "And her name is-," he coughed, giving himself time to think. "Her name is Lara."

"Named after Lady Lym, I see." said Dusklyn. "Hand these two some fresh water from the oasis, and see them on their way!" he commanded.

Eloria tugged at Vaelor's leg. He understood the signal. It meant that Eloria had spotted Sinara.

Vaelor whispered, "Vaelor to Alyssa. We have her in our sights."

Alyssa replied, "Okay. Incoming."

Suddenly, screams and shouts were heard from the oasis. Lord Dusklyn frowned, and sent some guards to check upon the others.

"Sorry, sir," said Vaelor. "You seem like a really nice person."

Alyssa chose that moment to enter, smashing through the guards as if she was completely healed.

"What madness is this?" boomed Lord Dusklyn.

"We don't want you, we just want her," said Eloria. She got up and ran after Lady Sinara.

"Heading your way, Astryn," said Eloria.

Eloria and Sinara emerged outside Dune, near the oasis. "Daughter?" said Sinara.

Astryn knocked Sinara out with a single punch to the head.