Chapter 12

"Astryn?"

Astryn slowly opened her eyes. She was in a dark cave, with no source of light but a tiny hole of sunlight way above her. Around her was vast dug out space.

"Astryn?" the voice called out again.

"Who are you?" Astryn said. She looked around, but her eyes still had not adjusted properly to the darkness and she could see nothing. 

"You can't recognize me?" said the voice. It sounded like a man, but Astryn was unsure who it was. 

"No?" tried Astryn.

"Step into the sunlight, it'll help you to see more clearly," said the voice. 

Astryn unwillingly did so. Her eyes blazed under the sudden light, and she had to close them.  When the pain ended, she opened her eyes again. And almost wished that she hadn't opened them.

"Corlys?" 

"Finally," said Corlys. "I understand, I'm a shadow of what I used to be, but I'm still me."

Astryn couldn't form words. Corlys's figure was diminished to less than a quarter, and he looked like he hadn't eaten for days. His arms drooped by his side, and even though he could walk, it looked like walking was a pain too.

Finally, she spoke. "What did she do to you?" 

"Trisley?" Corlys laughed. "She didn't even look at me twice. She handed me over to the Devil of Heirson and left me to his watch."

"The Devil of Heirson?" Astryn asked.

"Hywell Heirson," replied Corlys. "Part time military commander, part time interrogator. He hasn't got anything out of me yet." he said proudly.

Astryn vaguely remembered Vaelor mentioning Hywell in the history lesson, but that memory quickly slipped out of her mind. "Is there anyone else here?"

"Oh, yes, and there's Trisley's son," replied Corlys, casually.

Astryn's jaw dropped to the floor. "Trisley has a son?" she said.

"Yes, she does," said Corlys. "His name is Gryff Qisa, the trueborn heir to Ivaloria after King Qistorm dies."

"Wait, King Qistorm isn't dead?" said Astryn.

"I still don't know about that," replied Corlys. "It also seems Trisley hides everything from even her son. Gryff doesn't know anything about his father, except the fact that he was a king and he was a great person."

"You've talked to this Gryff?" said Astryn.

"Yes," admitted Corlys. "He is friendly, and I think I have managed to make him my companion."

"Well, good!" said Astryn. "In all your worldly wisdom about making friends, have you ever thought about escaping?"

"It's impossible," Corlys said at once. "The only exit in here is that sky hole where the sunlight comes from. We're currently underneath some part of Ivaloria."

"How does Hywell get in or get out, then?" asked Astryn.

"He has a pod which weirdly levitates," said Corlys. "Gryff has one too. He told me it's designed by Lovelake, as if it wasn't obvious."

Mention of Lovelake reminded Corlys of his friends. "I'd like to know how my sister is doing," he said. "The last time I saw her, she was lying almost dead in Eloria's arms, stabbed through the chest."

"Well, she's alright," said Astryn. "Me and Eloria definitely didn't go on a mission to Likemist and definitely didn't pick up another member who literally has the word valor in his name and also, most importantly, we definitely didn't have to revive Alyssa using a magic science thing that I don't really understand anymore," she finished.

Corlys laughed. "I have a feeling you did exactly those," he said. "What of this new person?"

"His name is Vaelor," said Astryn. "Vaelor Mist, son and heir to Kathryn Mist of Likemist. I went to their castle, it's this weird big tower which spans across a hundred floors and has elevators. Like, had you ever heard that word before? Also, I think he and Eloria might have a thing going on."

"Hold on," said Corlys. "I could only understand Mist, Hundred Floors, and Eloria?" he finished, puzzled.

Astryn sighed, and explained it all again, slowly. This time, she made sure Corlys understood.

"It's nice to hear good news after such a long time," said Corlys. "Did I miss anything else?"

"Oh, yes, you missed a lot," said Astryn. She told him about their escape and decision to not stay tied to Blizzard anymore, their abduction of Sinara and subsequent chase by Lovelake, and of course, the people of Mins fighting behind Alyssa as their leader.

"Mins joined our cause?" said Corlys. "That's a little unlikely, since their liege, Heirland, is on Trisley's side."

"I saw them fight with my own eyes," said Astryn. "I saw them overwhelm the Lovelakers."

"Oh, look, here comes Gryff," said Corlys, pointing up.

Astryn looked up. High above them, a figure descended from the skylight. It blocked the sun for some time, but in a while, the sun was shining again.

"Hey, Gryff!" Corlys shouted. "This is the girl I've been telling you about, Astryn."

Gryff finally came into the light. "The person who you like a lot?" he said. "Looks normal to me."