Chapter 2

"Astryn!"

Astryn winced. If her mother was calling her in that tone, it couldn't be nice. She unwillingly pushed herself into sight.

"There you are,"  said Sinara Sands, Lady of Fyre. "We have guests, and they want to see you."

"Is it the Queen again?" asked Astryn.

Sinara nodded. "Her Grace just escaped another one of those assassination attempts by the Frizes."

"Good that she survived, then," said Astryn, while her mind screamed nooo she survived try harder corlys pleaseee

Astryn had been a secret supporter of the Uprising ever since she knew that the Frizes were a part of it. Many years ago, Corlys and his sister Alyssa Frize had taken residence at the Fyre castle for a fortnight. Astryn had only been fifteen years old then, but she had developed an immense liking for the strong and attractive Corlys Frize.

"I'll go get dressed," Astryn told her mother. Sinara nodded in approval and went outside. 

"Hello, Lady Astryn," greeted the Queen as Astryn made her way outside.

Astryn managed a stiff bow. "Welcome to the Castle of Fyre, Your Grace," she said.

The herald cried, "Queen Trisley, Protector of Ivaloria, wife to the late King Qistorm, and Lady of Qis!"

"You look stressed," said Trisley. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," affirmed Astryn, but in reality, the herald's words had sent a chill down her spine.

One of the Uprising's beliefs were that King Qistorm was still alive somewhere, kept in captivity by none other than the Queen herself. This wasn't said in the Queen's hearing, but it most certainly was whispered behind her back.

Astryn turned to her mother. "Do I have your leave to return to my chambers?" she asked.

"Yes, you do," Sinara said. Yet, as she was leaving, she heard Sinara explaining to the Queen how she was such an insolent girl.

Once back in her room, she barred the door shut and gazed out through the window. The castle of Fyre was one of the most beautiful castles in Ivaloria, more of which included the castles of Blizzard, Lovelake, and more. Lovelake was said to have a huge lake in its inner chambers itself, but Astryn had never been to that side of Ivaloria.

Suddenly, she heard a noise outside. She looked out another window, and saw soldiers shouting and pointing.

Astryn turned back to the window, and her heart skipped a beat.

She saw a great plane descending in the outer courtyard of Fyre, and soldiers pouring out of each exit. But there was only two people she recognized - Alyssa Frize, the Princess of the North, and Corlys Frize, Heir of the North.

Corlys himself took out his famed sword, dubbed Iron Valor by his followers, and cut a bloody path through the courtyard. The people who stood their own against Corlys were quickly cut down from behind by Alyssa.

Astryn sighed. They were so cool, just them standing back to back and fighting looked like a piece of art.

All things faded when Alyssa spotted her looking through her window. The Princess whispered something to her brother, and Corlys broke apart from the fight and walked towards Astryn.

Astryn's heart beat faster. She couldn't wait to tell Corlys everything, how much she thought of him, how attractive he was, how his hair flew in the wind while he fought, how she lo-

"You're coming with me," said Corlys, and broke the window.

Astryn was dragged outside, and taken to Alyssa. They both dragged her through the inner courtyard to the palace, in which her mother and the Queen were waiting.

Alyssa put her sword to Astryn's throat. Astryn almost squirmed, but then remembered it might kill her.

"We have your daughter," said Corlys. "Give up the Queen now, and we'll let her go free. If not, well, it won't end nicely for... Astryn, here," he finished, remembering Astryn's name.

Astryn almost jumped. She tried to tell Alyssa that they had got it all wrong, that she was a supporter of the Uprising, that she would join them readily, but she couldn't talk.

Sinara stepped forward. "How do we have your word that Astryn goes free?"

Corlys gestured to Alyssa, and she let Astryn drop, though the sword still stayed in her hand. "We don't kill innocent people for nothing," said Corlys.

"Well, that's your mistake," said Queen Trisley. She looked to Sinara, who stiffened. With extreme difficulty, she took a dagger out of her leg pocket.

"No, what are you-" Astryn could manage, before Sinara threw the dagger, impaling itself in Astryn's stomach.

Alyssa gasped. The sword went away instantly, now it was the Princess bending down to pick Astryn up.

Through a vision dampened by blood, the last Astryn saw was Corlys saying, "You'll regret this," and Alyssa together with Corlys carrying her back into the plane.

Then she passed out.