Prologue

1. Tris

2. Uriah

3. Lynn

4. Marlene

5. Peter

6. Will

7. Christina

I smile, and Christina reaches across the table to hug me. I am too distracted to protest against the affection. She laughs in my ear.

Someone grabs me from behind and shouts in my ear. It's Uriah. I can't turn around so I reach back and squeeze his shoulder.

"Congratulations!" I shout.

"You beat them!" He shouts back. He releases me, laughing and runs into a crowd of Dauntless-born initiates.

I crane my neck to look at the screen again. I follow the list down.

Eight, nine, and ten are Dauntless-borns whose names I barely recognize.

Eleven and twelve are Molly and Drew.

Molly and Drew are cut. Drew, who tried to run away while Peter held me by the throat over the
chasm, and Molly, who fed the Erudite lies about my father, are factionless.

It isn't quite the victory I wanted, but it's a victory nonetheless.

Will and Christina kiss, a little too sloppily for my taste. All around me is the pounding of
Dauntless fists. Then I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see Tobias standing behind me. I get up, beaming.

"You think giving you a hug would give away too much?" he says.

"You know," I say, "I really don't care."

I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his.
It is the best moment of my life.

When we finally part, I turn my head to see Christina starting at me with her jaw hanging open.
She nudges Will with her elbow who has his back to me, immersed in conversation.

"Did you know about this?"

He gives her a questioning look and she points her pointer finger to me and moves it a few centimetres in Tobias' direction and then back to me again.

His face stays the same until realisation sets in. His head whips around to Christina again and slowly shakes his head.

I can tell my face is bright red. I don't know what to say.

All of a sudden her face breaks and she is in hysterics laughing.
I crack a smile and she grabs me by the wrist.

"Okay you are telling me all about this!" She giggles and drags me away from the cafeteria.

I turn my head and catch a last glance at Tobias who is talking to some people who I don't recognise. His eyes catch mine but only for a split second.

Before I can respond I've gone around a corner and he is out of my sight.

Christina takes me to the dormitories that are thankfully empty. The parties usually are all on tomorrow when we are officially members so we don't really have anything to do tonight.

We get to move out tomorrow into new apartments and choose jobs. I'm still clueless on what I'm going to pick.

I sit on Christina's bed with my legs stretched out and she lays her head on my thighs.

"So... tell me everything! When did you have your first kiss? When did you know you liked him? Did he confess his feelings or did you? Okay you know what, just start from the beginning!"

"Okay well... I guess I always thought he was good looking, but didn't everyone?"

Christina chuckled a bit "Yeah I guess so."

"But I think when we were playing capture the flag and we climbed the Ferris wheel is when I realised I liked him? It was really cute and I almost slipped so he grabbed me by the waist. And then..." I trail off, not wanting to remember the incident with Al, Drew and Peter. Christina gives me a confused look.

"The thing with Al... he was the one who found me. He took me back to his apartment and got me cleaned up. I stayed at his place that night." Christina gives a girly giggle.

"A few nights later he took me through his fear landscape and-"

"He what!?" Chris looks so shocked.

"Yeah I know! Then he took me to the chasm and we just sat there and talked a bit. He then confessed his feelings and... we kissed." I smile at the memory

"Awhhhh"

I was going to continue, but then I decided some things need to stay private.

We talk for ages about god knows what and people start to slowly file into the dorm. I'm so glad this is our last night in here. I dawdle over to my cot and lay down. I smile as I think of how good my life is going at the moment. Maybe Dauntless won't be so bad after all.

A/N

Thank you for giving this book a chance
Thoughts? Comment suggestions and don't forget to vote!
I hope you had a fabulous day!
Word count {839}
Also I've already written other chapters and they are 2000-3000 words long so just know this is short because it's the prologue.

Stay safe and be brave