CHAPTER 17

HIM

"Come on, guys, we do this every once a year." Senia said.

"Yeah, and someone always gets injured..." Andy sarcastically stated.

"The injuries weren't that bad, a few scratches here and there. Come on, we've been doing this since ninth grade. and we even added some 'more' strict and safe rules naman diba."

I sipped on my milkshake, listening to them as they argued. We were on our way to a park near the U.P. campus, holding water guns in one hand, standing in the middle of the park like we were playing laser tag but with water guns, and it was a virtual world.

"What are you guys talking about? I thought we were going to the mall or something to... hangout?" Napatingin ako kay Sam, who seemed so clueless holding the water gun that was suddenly given to him or more like shoved to him– these people are not delicate at all mind you, it has already been about four years and they are still at each other's throat almost half the time when it comes to this so called 'tradition'.

Poor Sam... I was just innocently looking at the water gun like it was a weird artifact. I chuckled nervously.

I wanted to say that he should run right now, but it was already too late. I'll try to save him somehow, feeling sympathetic.

"We will, later... after the war." Senia says with a smile, and trust me... it's the kind of smile that I feared most.

"W-wait... what?"

"You did bring an extra shirt right?" Jun asked, smiling...

"Wait, so you guys were serious about this?"

"We need to fucking run Mitch." Sabi ko habang inoobserbahan si Senia, slowly backing away, pulling Sam along with me or more like dragging him away.

"Huh?" I huffed and went closer to him.

"Just do as I say or else it will be your death. Gusto mo ba mamatay ng maaga?" Tanong ko sa kanya, all serious and heavy. Pero syempre, I'm just pulling his leg, although I think this could be one way to somehow lower the blow of mortification later.

"No...?"

"Then fucking move!"

"Countdown guys! Hope y'all ready." Bigla sigaw ni Senia mula sa puno kung saan siya naka- tago.

"Yeah! Y'all are so going down." Sabi naman ni Jun na malapit sa gazebo kasama si Elias.

"The one who's going down will be you Jun."

"I hope Senia loses this time." Bigla sabi ni Andy in the middle of a patio. I looked back at Sam and he still looked dazed.

"Bro, are you listening?" Sam cranes his neck to look at me. We were currently hidden behind the playhouse in the playground. I hope Alexa is doing well, I know Senia will shoot her instantly so she won't be the loser for later.

"Uh.. yeah, yeah... so what are we supposed to do here? Just shoot each other or something?"

"Technically but that's not all, there's a bit of a twist."

"W-what?" I breathe in and out, glancing around–

"Okay guys I'll countdown to three, then this game will begin."

"What the heck is this?" Bigla tanong ni Sam.

"Kung sino mandiyan mamaya tatargetin sa huli, humanda ka na ng pera."

"Stop being so cocky and start the damn game!" Sigaw ni Ari sa malayo. I saw an old lady looking at us weirdly, shaking her head and just walked away. Well, that was embarrassing.