[5]

One important thing Emma had learned since her arrival to New Orleans: never get ready for a fancy event at her apartment. The last time she made that mistake, by the time she reached the Abattoir, she looked like drenched mouse rather than a fancy member of New Orleans society.

Not that she really was one. But, just like Klaus, Marcel saw the benefit of flaunting off his mortal friends at the events he threw for the members of the human faction. And since many of them weren't actually aware of the fact Emma was a witch, the idea of her being one of them made it even better.

And that was why she found herself walking through the streets of the French Quarter, lugging a large black dress bag in her arms while her heels dug into her side through the bag slung over her shoulder. Continuously reminding herself there less than a block left of walking, Emma did her best not to hinge on the regret of not accepting Marcel's offer to have one of his night-walker lackeys pick up her stuff the previous night so it could all wait for her there.

Clearing her throat, Emma adjusted her hold on the dress bag, about to continue on after a short pause when it was suddenly plucked from her hands. With wide eyes, she quickly turned to look at the thief, and relaxed once she spotted the familiar smirk looking down at her.

"What can I do for you today, Mr Mikaelson?" She asked with a shake of her head, starting to walk again as Klaus fell into step beside her. If he wanted to help her carry her things, she wouldn't complain. Especially when her hands were free to adjust the other bag before she punctured her spleen.

"Well, I wasn't actually looking for you, but imagine my surprise to find we're headed to the same place." Klaus said ominously. Meaning two things; he was headed to the Abattoir and he'd been keeping an eye on her long enough to know she was too.

Emma decided she wouldn't focus on the stalking. At least not this time. "Come on Nik, you can't expect a girl to get all dressed up and pretty and then have to traipse around the dirty streets in a dress that has a train."

"Yes, I do believe it would be a terrible crime." Klaus chuckled in amusement as the two walked through the street entrance to the building occupied by dozens of Marcel's vampires.

Once they found themselves inside, Klaus couldn't help but observe Emma's ease as she moved through the courtyard and towards the nearest set of stairs. It was clear that she'd been there before and knew her way around well enough to be comfortable. And none of the vampires milling around even spared her a glance. It was clear this wasn't Emma's first time in his former home.

"So if it isn't me you're looking for, what brings you around? Rebekah making a mess of your hotel room in search of a dress?" The brunette questioned with a teasing look on her face as looked back at him since she ended up a couple of steps ahead.

"Among other things she continues to make a mess of." The comment made Emma chuckle in amusement. She could remember how Rebekah could get about events. 'Must have the attention of all.' Klaus once said.

And if it wasn't her fashion that was troubling Klaus, Emma had a good idea about what else could be. She'd, of course, heard the theories some of the city's vampires had about who'd killed Marcel's night-walkers. And she'd be lying if she tried to say Rebekah wasn't at the top of her own list of suspects. However, she had no proof, nor idea for motive. But then again, Emma still hadn't managed to learn what exactly the Mikaelsons' motives for anything were right now.

And she wasn't about to question Klaus on it again. Not in this place. And not when their walking had led them into a position to overhear quite the interesting conversation. One Klaus was very eager to interrupt.

"Look, I know you and Klaus are friends, but the fact is, since the Originals showed up-" Emma easily recognized the voice of Marcel's right hand man, Thierry. And it made her roll her eyes as it always did, even if he perhaps was getting to a good point. He didn't get to finish it though.