[26]

Shuffling in the backseat, Emma was eager to get out of the car as she noticed it turn down a familiar street. "You are more than welcome to stay with us. We have plenty of rooms." Elijah pointed out to her even though there was no point in accepting the offer now that they were so close to her own building even if she wanted to.

And she most certainly did not. "Elijah, dearest, the next time I'm stepping foot into your little emotional torment plantation hideout is if someone is on their deathbed." Emma announced in a pointed tone as the car drew to a stop. "Until then, you need me? You come to me."

"Emma-" Elijah spoke in an apologetic tone, ignoring the amused smile on Hayley's face in the seat beside him as she listened to the Broussard fearlessly put an original vampire of all people in his place.

"You know, it's true... We make excuses for old people because they're ancient and from another time." Emma spoke in a scolding tone as she interrupted him. "And while you may be old, the vampirism of it all doesn't really make you eligible for the same leniency." She announced with a small glare as she pushed open the door of the car and stepped out into the street. "Get with the times." She called back one last thing before slamming the door closed and making her way for the door of the building.

She ignored the way Elijah's car remained parked in front of the building as she unlocked its front door, the vampire waiting in the driver's seat not only until he was sure she'd gone into the building, but also until he'd heard the sound of her front door unlocking and locking behind her as she entered her apartment before he finally drove away and back to the plantation.

And in his absence, Emma heaved out a sigh as she dropped her bag by the front door, not caring for messiness or organization in that moment as she eagerly thought of her bed. The more time she spent with the Mikaelsons, the more she became a nocturnal creature. And her exhausted mind hated her for it. Which was why she was awfully excited about getting under her covers and dozing the day away.

Something which surely would be much more enticing if it weren't for the sound which caught her attention from the other side of the door. Not that it was a subtle one as something seemed to crash around clumsily. Knowing it was much too early for any of her neighbours to be moving about, Emma reached over to take hold of her nearest stone, happy to find it one still fuelled with magic as she moved back to the door again.

For a few moments she simply listened and waited, trying to judge if she was only being paranoid or if there really was someone out there. However, as another crash sounded, followed by a string of whispered swear words, the Broussard woman sprung into action, pulling open the door of her apartment, ready to face whoever stood on the other end snooping on to spot a familiar baby vampire awkwardly stumbling around the landing window as he tried to evade the sun shining through it.

"What the hell are you doing here?" She questioned with furrowed brows, fixing Josh with a questioning look as she dumped her magical stone back on the counter by the door now that she knew there wasn't any need for it or the magic she'd siphoned from within.

"Uh... Just thought you might want an update on the whole..." Josh started to explain awkwardly, hand reaching up to scratch the back of his neck as he tried to make his nerves less prominent. "Rebekah-Marcel-Klaus plot."

"Let me guess, Klaus kicked everyone's ass?" Emma asked in a simple tone, already knowing what the answer would be without anyone sharing it with her just yet.

"Pretty much." And Josh proved her right with a nod of his head. "And taken control of the vampires and is moving into the Abattoir."

The additions which she was actually unaware of made Emma let out a small hum, finding none of it surprising. "Yeah, well... Told them so." She quipped with a nod of understanding. "And you're here giving me the update in the middle of the day because...?" So, she proceeded to move on to the next question on her mind, Josh's silence and sheepish look proving answer enough. "They used you to lure him into the trap and now he's out for your head."