[11]

Emma remained on the bed, watching Elijah as he seemed to fiddle with a violin she knew for a fact hadn't been there last night. The violin being in the attic made Emma wonder what exactly Davina had gotten up to during her time at the festival. However, she didn't ask any questions about the event or about Tim in that moment, knowing there'd be a better time.

Having finally gotten past his initial shock after Davina's revelation about the Harvest, Elijah continued to speak "Enlighten me. What exactly do you mean when you say you have to die?" Witches were tricky and often their rituals came with a thousand different steps, he wanted to be sure he understood what Davina meant without any doubt.

"I think it's pretty self explanatory?" Emma pointed out. She was willing to allow this chance at getting to know each other, but if Elijah started to pry too much or suspiciously questioning the specifics she was ready to bring it to an end in an instant.

Davina let out a small chuckle at Emma's bluntness, but soon turned serious again as she went to explain further. "That's what the Harvest was. They said they'd put us four girls in a state of, like, peaceful limbo as part of the offering. And then later, at the Reaping, we'd awaken and be reborn." As Davina spoke, Emma reached out to give her shoulder a gentle squeeze, knowing how hard it was for the young witch to retell the story. "I never got as far as the limbo part, which means the Harvest isn't complete. That's why the witches are so freaked out. The Reaping is just around the corner, and if they don't finish it before then, it's over. All I have to do is wait it out."

Emma hadn't only heard about the Harvest, but soon after her introduction to the ritual, she'd read whatever she could find about it. And the more she learned, the more she realized that a part of her was actually quite grateful that she'd never be accepted as a part of any of the New Orleans covens. All nine were horrible in her opinion. The French Quarter at the top of her list for their actions, but all the other eight following closely behind because of their lack of action; because of their willingness to sit back and let the Harvest happen. If that is how things worked among the New Orleans witches, Emma wanted no part in it.

"And then what?" Elijah's question brought Emma to focus back on their conversation.

"They're punished, and I'm free." Davina said, a small smile appearing on her face just at the thought of it.

"From Marcel?" Elijah wondered, eyes glancing at both Davina and Emma as he did. He wasn't here only to find out about the Quarter witches that had brought them there, but also about Emma and Davina's loyalty to Marcel.

A loyalty which, he suspected, might be dwindling on Emma's side as he saw a flash of her emotions on her face. She didn't mind his question, if anything, she seemed to think it wasn't a bad idea. Emma knew that power was an easy thing to get used to, and blinded by. Davina provided that to the leader of the vampires. She gave him the power that kept him in control. And while Emma knew Marcel wouldn't hurt Davina on purpose, it was easy to get blinded by such an advantage.

Davina, however, seemed to be of an entirely different opinion, minding the question and sending Elijah a small glare as she started to correct him. "Of magic. All our power will drain away. I'll be normal."

"Is that what you want? To be normal?" It was so rare to hear a witch say they didn't like what they were that Elijah couldn't help but be confused by Davina's words, wondering what may have prompted such an opinion.

"I just don't wanna be what I am. I can't control it sometimes. Magic. I..." Davina trailed off, eyes starting to fill with unshed tears that she tried to blink away as she looked at her friend, an almost guilty expression on her face which made Elijah believe there was a story behind it. "Hurt people. Even when I don't mean to."