[17]

While they were elected as the babysitters, it didn't mean Emma and Rebekah had to continuously be together or hover over the pregnant werewolf they were meant to be looking after. Which was why Emma had quickly hidden away in one of the rooms in the large house, her only company at the moment one of Esther's grimoires she'd managed to get a hold of from the shelves. She had no plans of taking any of them, but if she was stuck in this house, she'd definitely use her chance to look over all the spells and books she could.

She was focused on reading through the basis of a rather interesting offensive spell when someone walked into the room she was occupying and managed to pry her attention away from the grimoire in her lap. She looked up to find Hayley somewhat hesitantly walking over, obviously nervous or wanting to say something but unsure how to do it.

"Sit, I'm one of the rare few in this house that doesn't bite." Emma said in a friendly voice as she closed the book and motioned to the armchair opposite of the one she was sitting in. Hayley did just that, but still remained quiet as she twiddled her thumbs. "Okay, what's up? You're radiating all this awkward energy; it's making me think I need to be awkward too."

Emma's blunt question had Hayley letting out a small laugh, obviously starting to relax a bit more as her curious eyes turned to the siphoner. "You said you're a Broussard... Is the story about... You know..." Still, despite Emma's friendly demeanour, Hayley wasn't really sure how to ask the question she was curious about form the moment she met the witch.

"The way we lost our magic?" Emma finished for her, eyebrow raised as she wanted to make sure she was guessing correctly.

"Yeah, is it true?" The werewolf finally got it out there. It was an interesting story that she'd read in some of Elijah's journals. Although they didn't cover the full thing. And considering her own role in the Mikaelson's lives now, she couldn't avoid having it stick with her.

"Honestly, I don't know. According to the books yes, but books can sometimes leave out bits of history." Emma revealed. "Until I came back to New Orleans months ago, I had no clue about any powerful witch history. To me it was just a surname like any other." She said, and it was the truth. Her mother never had a chance to tell her everything after Emma found out about being a siphoner. "And then I came here, found some of my mother's old books and discovered my ancestors had terrible taste in men which proved costly."

Emma's description of it had Hayley bursting out laughing, taking no offence as it clearly wasn't meant as a jab at her too. "So, you and Klaus... Never?" She couldn't help but ask, the dynamic between the two also being something rather odd.

The suggestion made a grimace quickly spread over Emma's face. "Lord help me, just the thought makes me shudder." To be just a little more dramatic about it, Emma pretended to gag, making Hayley laugh again.

"So, how can you do magic?" The werewolf got back to her original curiosities and Emma was thankful, she never wanted to think about her and Klaus again. Not in that way. Even if it was just to say there was no chance in hell.

"How much did you learn about the history?" She asked curiously, wondering where Hayley may have learned about it in the first place. She could understand how her own mother had books on the Broussard line and histories. They were their own, after all. But she didn't know where else the story may be recorded around this city.

"Your ancestor," Hayley started, tone somewhat questioning as she tried to remember the correct name.

"Anabelle Broussard, crazy smart from some of her grimoires I've read." Emma filled in, connecting what Hayley was saying to her own knowledge of the tale.

"She fell for Klaus." Hayley continued.

"And that is where I wonder about how smart she actually was."

The Marshall shook her head in amusement for a moment before returning to the conversation again. "The witches turned on her because of it." She said what she remembered.

"It's a bit more complicated than that." Emma jumped in. "The way things are here and now, vampires and witches at war, it isn't something unusual or odd. Witches have always hated vampires; considering them abominations that shouldn't exist because they mess with the balance of nature." She spoke of the common pattern that certainly wasn't a new occurrence. "So, when a witch allies herself with a vampire, it's understandable she's under some scrutiny by her coven."

"Scrutiny that results in them cursing away her magic?" Hayley questioned, remembering what she'd read in Elijah's writings about Anabelle's desperation to find a way to get her magic back which ultimately led to her death.

"It is worse when said vampire is an original." Emma noted. It was funny how history continued to repeat. Once again, a Broussard witch was allying herself with the Mikaelsons nearly three hundred years later. "And Anabelle was powerful. The witches feared her alliance with Klaus, so they found a way to protect themselves from it."

"Witches are judgy." Hayley's comment had Emma laughing in amusement as she nodded her head. That certainly wasn't something she'd argue against. Even she herself could be judgy. Although not at the level of other witches, that was for sure.

"Tell me about it." She muttered, having been on the receiving end of it enough times since the moment she stepped into New Orleans. Not wanting to think of that, she soon returned back to their topic. "While Anabelle didn't manage to get her magic back, a couple of generations ago, it seems that the curse placed on her and our line started to-"

Before Emma could share the theories written in the books by her ancestors, Hayley interrupted as she let out a small yelp, hand instantly reaching for her neck. Emma was quick to get to her feet and walk over to her once she saw the blood now seeping from what seemed like a puncture wound.

"What happened? Are you okay?" She questioned in a worried tone as the werewolf got out of her seat, somewhat panicked herself as she looked down at the blood on her own hand.

"What the hell was that?" Rebekah rushed into the room, having heard the commotion, and instantly arriving to check on what was happening.

"Hell if I know." Hayley muttered out in a confused tone, accepting some tissues that Emma handed her so she could wipe the blood away as she continued to speak. "It felt like I was being stabbed." She explained, looking to the two women with a confused look on her face.

It was mirrored on Rebekah's own, and for a few moments even Emma's before she came to a sudden realization. "Not you." She said in a knowing tone, the expression on her face turning sour at the thought. "Sophie Deveraux." She announced, a worried look passing between all three of them. Because if something had happened to Sophie, if she was in danger, then they had much less time than they initially believed to unlink Hayley from the witch before the consequences started to appear.