Chapter 102

Matt's POV: As I finish reading the course description for Emergency Scene Management: Ambulatory Services, I took a breath because I had a feeling that this course was not going to be easy as I thought. Looking down at Gabby, I just took a breath when she looked up at me. "Hey, why do you look worried?" I sighed when she asked me that. "Because I am worried. Just reading the course description...I can tell that this might be a hard course." Gabby agreed with me when I told her that and looked up at me. "If only you had a paramedic to help you."

I laughed and agreed with Gabby when she told me that before going to wrap my arm around her. I then went to kiss her forehead and just smiled as we both held each other close. Holding my iPad up again, I smiled at the course. "Should I start the first lesson?" Gabby agreed with me. "Matt, you can do it here with me. I'm going to help you." I agreed with Gabby when she told me that and just smiled at her. "Yeah, I like that idea. Let's see what the first lesson is." Gabby agreed with me when I told her that before going to go open up the first lesson was going to be.

"Oh, this one is going to be easy. I had to learn this when I became a captain." Gabby looked up at me when I told her that. "You did?" I nodded and agreed with her. "Because I'm scene commander if Boden isn't there. Remember, most senior firefighter on scene takes charge." Gabby laughed when I said that. "More like truck always takes charge. Even when you and Severide were both lieutenants, you always took charge." I agreed with Gabby when she told me that and just smiled because I knew that was the truth. "Yeah, that got me in trouble a bunch."

Gabby sighed when I told her that. "Especially right after Andy died." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "I promise that's never going to happen again. I know that I can't react that way since I'm a dad now." Gabby agreed with me when I said that and just smiled as she looked up at me. Going to lift up my iPad, I just took a breath before proceeding to look at what I needed to do. "There are some quizzes here that you can start." I agreed with her when she told me that before going to navigate towards the. Going to open them, I smiled.

"Okay, this one seems easy enough. It's literally about the course information." Gabby laughed and agreed with me when I said that. Going to open the first quiz, I smiled as I went to start it. "I highly doubt that this one isn't going to be long." Gabby shook her head when I said that and just smiled at me. "Yeah, I doubt that it's going to be long." Going to hit one of the answers, Gabby smiled as she went to help me. "Okay, I'm sure that I'm the one who's supposed to be the one who does these courses." Gabby laughed and agreed with me when I told her that.

"Sure, but I'm your wife and I get to help you." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "You don't think that Boden's wife at the time helped him study for his exams." I thought about it and just shrugged when she told me that because that definitely was the truth. I highly doubt that some chiefs don't do these courses alone. They need help and support from their partners. God, I just hope that someday I meet a female Battalion Chief. I haven't seen one yet and I definitely think that it's time for Chicago to have one...but not before I get my shot.

That's when I started to think about something. Looking down at Gabby, I took a breath. "Can we talk about something before we continue?" Looking up at me, Gabby agreed. "Of course baby. What's wrong?" I sighed and just looked at Gabby. "Say I get the opportunity to take charge of another Battalion...will you follow me?" Gabby smiled when I asked her that. "Hey, that's not something you even need to worry about. Matt, if you get a Battalion...I'm going to move heaven and earth to make sure that you can take the spot. Heck, I might even quit."

I was shocked when she told me that. "What do you mean you'd quit?" Gabby sighed. "Somebody has to take care of our kids while you work long hours." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that because I knew that was going to be true. I mean, I'm probably going to work long hours as a Battalion Chief. I just hope that she knows that I am going to still be there for her whenever she needs me. "I hope that you do know that I will still prioritize our family ahead of my life as a Battalion Chief right?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me, smiling.

"Hey, of course I know that baby. I promise that I'm never going to think that you aren't going to prioritize our family." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that and just smiled as I went to wrap my arm around her back. I then proceeded to bend down and kiss her softly. Taking it nice and slow with her, I just smiled because we were both so happy. "You know that I'm proud of you right? You're going to be such a great chief." I nodded and laughed. "Yeah, in a couple years. I'm not going to be doing it so soon. I want to wait til' we have one more baby."

Looking up at me, Gabby took a breath. "Okay, you need to promise me that there's an exception to that case." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. "What is it?" Gabby smiled at me. "If Boden retires or..." I agreed with her. "Oh, if I have a chance to take over the 25th Battalion...then I'm going to jump all over it. Don't worry about that." Gabby laughed and agreed with me when I said that. I then went to kiss her forehead again because of how comfortable we both were right now. "I actually hope that I get the 25th Battalion in the future."

Gabby smiled when I told her that and agreed with me. "I like that idea. Then I wouldn't have to leave 61." Gabby agreed with me when I said that and smiled as I went to kiss her forehead softly. "However, I do think that Boden is already going to make me his heir. There's no way that he's not going to quit before I get certified." Gabby agreed with me when I said that and just smiled as she went to rub my chest. "You comfortable?" Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I asked her that. "Of course I am." Looking down at her, I smiled as I went to kiss her softly.

Taking it nice and slow with her, I smiled as she went to lay her head down on my shoulder. I then went to kiss her forehead and just smiled as I went to go turn to my iPad so that I could work on some more of my courses. Going to do the next question, I smiled. "I hope Boden already knows that you're coming for his job." I agreed with Gabby when she told me that and smiled. "Babe, he's training me to be his successor. That's never going to change." Gabby agreed with me and smiled as she laid her head down on my chest. Meanwhile, I continued my courses.

"If you want to turn the TV on...go ahead babe." Gabby shook her head when I said that. "No, I'm going to just stay like this. I doubt you're going to do that much of a course anyways. I know that you're going to want me a bit soon." I laughed and agreed with Gabby when she told me that. Going to grab the back of her head, I went to kiss it and just smiled as I went to hold her close to me. "Relax babe. You need to remember that the kids are just over there." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she told me that before going to just take a breath.

Cuddling up to me again, Gabby smiled as she laid her head down on my shoulder. Meanwhile, I went to wrap my arm around her and just continued to read some information on my course.

NOTE TO READERS:
While Matt does some of his Battalion Chief courses, I'm going to check on our other Chief/Paramedic couple in this story...more specifically, Hawkins and Violet. Ideas? Send them via message inbox. Credit will be given where credit's due.