Chapter 109-1: Flashback - Where's Gabby?

September 7, 2018 - Firehouse 51
Matt's POV: As I walk around Firehouse 51 on shift, I took a breath as I tried to find Gabby. I haven't really seen her around her much today and that was weird. Since she got back from Puerto Rico last month, we have pretty much spent a bunch of time together...mostly because we needed to rest together. Well not me, mostly Gabby. The reason? Me and Gabby have decided to go ahead and have a baby. (It was a deal breaker). However, since me trying to get her pregnant by having sex didn't work much...we decided to do IVF instead. And that's why I'm looking for her. We just did another round of IVF and we were both expecting a call.

And it was going to be the call that changed our lives forever. The call that was going to tell us that we were going to be parents. That's when I saw Stella walking by. "Stella." Stella turned to look at me when I said that. "What's up Captain?" I then took a breath. "Uhm, have you seen Gabby around?" Stella shook her head when I asked her that. "No, I haven't...I haven't for a couple hours." I agreed with her when she said that and sighed. "Me neither. Is Brett here?" Stella agreed with me. "Yes, yes she is...and so is Ambo. But I just saw a reliever paramedic come in." I got worried when she said that. "Ok, now that's worrying me. You going to talk to Chief?"

Stella agreed with me. "Yeah." I then took a breath. "Do you mind if I go talk to him first?" She agreed with me. "He might know where Gabby is, so go ahead." I agreed with her and then went to go walk over to Chief's office so that I could talk to him. I need to know where my wife went. If something's happening with her, then I need to know. Sure, we had a bad fight earlier this summer but...I swore we were in a better place. I thought we were in a great place actually. I mean, we are trying to have a baby (again) through IVF. Why she's not here is just puzzling right now. That's when I walked up to Chief's door. Knocking on it, I looked at him.

"Chief?" Looking up at me. "Matt, how are you?" I then took a breath. "Can I talk to you?" He agreed with me. "Of course, come in." I nodded and agreed with him when he told me that before going to close the door. "Uhm, god...this is going to make me seem like a bad husband." Chief just looked at me when I said that. "What are you talking about Matt?" I sighed. "Do you know where Gabby is? I haven't seen her for a while and I'm starting to get worried." Chief just looked at me, seemingly puzzled. "Didn't she talk to you?" I shook my head. "No, about what?" Chief then sighed. "She asked me to call in a reliever. Said she just needed to go home."

I got concerned when Chief said that. "Oh, uhm..." Chief just looked at me and then got worried. "Are you guys okay?" I bit my lip. "I don't know what's going on. But I just don't know what to do right now." Chief looked at me when I told him that. "Let me guess, you think that you need to go home?" I bit my lip. "Chief, I hate this. I hate that I can't finish shift but..." Chief nodded when I said that. "You're worried about Gabby." I nodded and agreed with him when he asked me that. "Chief, do you mind if I leave early? I just have this feeling that I need to go home." Chief agreed with me. "Of course Matt. I know that you guys are going through something, I can feel it."

I bit my lip when he said that. "Can I tell you the truth?" He agreed with me. "Of course. What's going on? Need some advice?" I took a breath when he asked me that and then went to walk over to the chairs in front of his desk. "Please, sit down." I agreed, nodding before just taking a breath I then went to put my head in my hands and looked at him. "You remember how me and Gabby had that huge fight a couple weeks ago?" Chief agreed with me. "I thought you were good." I nodded and agreed with him. "We're better now...but it's about us having a baby. We're going to try but...we need to do IVF to do it." Chief just looked at me when I said that. "Oh god."

I agreed with him. "We've been expecting a call from the doctor. I just have this bad feeling that Gabby got that call and ran away from me." Chief bit his lip before going to get up. I then went to get up and walked over to him, giving him a hug. "Matt, I'm so sorry. You guys of all people deserve to have a baby. And for you guys to need to go through IVF to have a baby is hard. And for it to not work is hard. Do you think..." I nodded and agreed with him. Chief then went to grab my hand and just looked at me. "Matt, take time okay? Just go home and stay there for a while. Don't worry about work right now. I will take care of it and you can just stay home for a while."

I took a breath and agreed with him when he told me that. "You have no idea how much I appreciate that Chief. I think that Gabby just needs me at home right now....especially if this is what's happening. But, can you do me a favor and not tell anybody about the whole IVF? It's not something she's proud of." Chief shook his head. "I promise. But you tell Gabby that it's nothing to be ashamed of. If that's how you guys need to have a baby...then that's how you're going to have a baby." I nodded and agreed with him when he told me that before proceeded to go hug him again. I then took a breath and just sighed. "Listen, I'm going to go home." Chief agreed with me and smiled. "Of course Matt, just go be with Gabby right now and relax."

I took a breath and agreed with him when he said that before going to look at him. "Thanks Chief. Remember, nobody but you. Heck, we haven't even told our family." He agreed with me. "Can I call you later to check on you guys?" I agreed with him. "I'd like that." He smiled and agreed with me. "Take next shift off okay? Just go be with Gabby and relax." I nodded and agreed with him when he told me that and smiled. "Thanks Chief." Chief agreed with me and just nodded as he watched me walk away. Meanwhile, I went to go pack up so that I could go home and be with Gabby. God, why didn't she tell me. I'm her husband and it's my job to help her.