21: the exit

"If I was you, I'd wanna be me too." – Meghan Trainor

luciens pov:

i held my mate close in my arms, as much as i wanted her right now, i made myself stop.

An hour passed and we both heard a loud scream come from below us. "What the hell was that?" I yelled.

"That came from the dungeon didn't it? Why are you worried?" I turned and looked at her. "No one is supposed to be down there at this hour. So what the hell was that?" More screams were heard, louder and closer. "Nyx! Stay by me. Whatever this is, it's dangerous." She stood behind me. "Alright..."

The door flew open revealing a familiar brunette. "Akryn?!" we both said in unison. "Nyx? Are you alright? What's going on? I heard a scream-" He looked towards me. "It was you! Wasn't it?!" I stood my ground. "Are you serious? Why the Hell would I ever do anything to Nyx?!" The screams got louder and louder. "Where is that coming from?!" my mate asked, irritated at all the noise.

a guard came running down the hall and stood in front of the room, body covered in blood. "It's him, Meris has been killed, Prince Lucien...The shadow...It was terrifying." He fell onto the ground.

"He's coming...for the girl. It was a massacre." I walked over and kneeled onto the ground. "What do you mean? Why is he coming for Nyx?! What do you mean by shadow?!"

"The demon...with the white hair...the shadow demon. He escaped, and killed everyone in the dungeon..." Both mine and Akryn's eyes widened.Oh fuck...

"It was Malik..." said Nyx "One more thing, my prince..." I stared down at the man. "What is it?" i asked, my voice was softer now. "It's Balan...your brother. H-He knows...about the girl..." His eyes shut, and his chest stopped moving. I gritted my teeth.

No! How'd he find out?! He can't have her! I won't let him touch her!

"He's dead..." Akryn looked at me. "Meris is dead. That explains why the possession spell I was under broke suddenly. More importantly, Lucien. How did Balan find out about her?" I kept quiet and stood up. "We have to get out of here. With Malik as unstable as he is now and my brother...One of us, if not all of us will end up dead."

"Then we have to leave!' Yelled Nyx

Without replying, I grabbed my mate's hand and headed in the opposite direction from Malik.

"Akryn, follow me!" Without hesitating, Akryn followed me "Fine, but you're still not off the hook for having that bastard possessed me! Nyx is our top priority right now!" we ran down the dark corridors of the castle, "Just a bit more, we're almost there" i said.

"We need to go quicker, Lucien. That bastard is a shadow demon, he could be anywhere right now. There are so many scents I can't make out which one is his" Akryn told me, worry and panic in his voice

"Up ahead!" I yelled. "There's a door that leads us to an exit. Let's get out now!" As soon as the three made our way to the door, a giant black, shadowy creature appeared in front of it. we stopped dead in our tracks. "What the hell is that?!" Nyx screamed.

"That's a shadow creature. Something only a shadow demon can create and control.." I said, standing in front of her, my back to her. "Which means..." Akryn started to speak, his body tensing.

'I'm here" Came a voice. Both Akryn and I turned around, standing in front of Nyx.

"Malik!" we both said in unison. "Sorry, but you're not getting out that door until you hand her over"

"Like hell, we'll do that! You're not thinking straight, Malik! You'll probably kill her!" Akryn yelled. "Oh? You mean like how you did with Draven? You killed him, and now you're trying to take the only thing I care about away from me!" Tears were forming at the corners of Nyx's eyes, threatening to fall.

I whispered to Nyx "When I give the signal, you run for the door. He's unstable right now. We'll distract that creature and Keep Malik occupied." She didn't respond."

Is she crying? Why...

"Nyx? Snap out of it. Save your tears for later. Okay?" I told her.

"i-i cant...he cant be dead"

Malik took notice of Nyx's tears and stared at her, eyes full of anger. "She's crying..." he looked at us. "You caused this, anyone who makes her tears fall, will die"

"Fuck..." Akryn cursed, "Lucien..." He said. "Don't worry, I can handle him."

"Is that so, fake prince? Let's see how far you get until I rip out your heart." Malik stated.

" Betzalel" He said towards the large shadow creature. " Kill the half breed."

While his creature was busy playing with Akryn, Malik focused his attention on me. "I've always wanted to kill you. Especially when I found out your filthy lips touched hers"

He's completely Lost it...Malik walked towards me and each time he did I refused to take a step backwards.

"Let's not do anything rash, Malik. You've already frightened Nyx enough. How's my death going to solve anything?" I asked him.

"Oh I don't know, maybe it'll just make me feel better. Don't you know the old saying though? A life for a life, An eye for an eye, A tooth for a tooth?" Malik quickly picked me up by the throat faster than I could comprehend and squeezed it.

How the hell? I thought shadow demons were supposed to be slower than others?!

"M-Malk!" I began. " But you're right, I shouldn't do anything rash with her here. So for now, I'll make your worst nightmares come to life! " Black marks appeared on my face and my eyes rolled back into my head, screaming in pain and fear. I felt as if thousands of hot knives were slowly carving my flesh open as I stood in a dark room,having to watch as draven sat at the throne.

"N-No! This can't be Happening! It's not real! Nyx!"