Chapter Eighteen

The four of us had been up all night. Barely getting any sleep, but it was a waste of time in this particular moment. Ben went over the plan about fifty times or so until it was planted into our brains. We couldn't mess up, or get anything wrong. This was a rescue mission, to save Noah. I hope he wasn't already in prison. Everyone was packing bags, making sure we had everything we needed, extra clothes, food and water.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and made my way over to Krista and Ben, who were going over the plan once again. Kyle then walked over and Ben looked at all of us. His eyes glanced at the clock on the wall, which read 4:30 in the morning. Yeah, we didn't get any sleep at all.

"Alright, I'm gonna drive first. If you wanna sleep you guys can." Ben said as he looked at me and Krista.

"I'll keep a lookout." Kyle added as he glanced over at me and gave me a reassuring smile. I let out a small sigh and turned around to see Jill walk over to us. Her eyes were red and puffed up, most likely crying most of the night. She let out a sniffle before speaking up.

"Please find him, bring him back, alive." She said to us, on the verge of tears once again. I took a step forward and hugged her tightly, Ben, Krista, Kyle following my lead.

"Don't worry Jill, we're gonna find him." Ben said as the four of us took a step back. She looked at each one of us before giving a nod.

"Just try and keep your heads down, make sure you're indoors during curfew, wear the regular clothing during the day." She said as we all nodded our heads. She straightened herself up and gave us a nod before the four of us walked out of the building. Once we made it outside, we all followed Ben to the back of the building.

He walked over to a large tarp that was covering something, probably the car we needed. Ben removed the tarp revealing a black pick up truck. Kyle and I glanced at each other as Krista made her way over to the outdoor power box and opened it. She grabbed the keys and tossed them to Ben.

"Alright, I filled it up last night. Let's roll." He said as we all tossed our bags in the back seat. Krista took the passenger seat as Kyle and I got in the back seats with Ben driving.

"Make sure we're not seen." Krista said to him and he gave her a nod.

"I know what I'm doing." Ben said as he started up the car and backed up to the opening behind us before pulling around and drove through a back road that led to an alleyway by one of the stores. Thankfully nothing was open yet and there was no sign of the cops. Once we got on the road, I let out a small sigh and leaned my head back and closed my eyes for a moment.

"Alright, just relax now." Ben said from the driver's seat. I watched as Krista opened up a map and we soon ended up on one of the exiting highways.

"How long until we get where they're taking Noah?" I asked as I leaned forward in my seat taking a look at the map.

"Well if I'm right and they're taking him to the capitol, it's a 42 hour drive, so about two days. Hopefully." He said as I nodded my head before leaning back against my seat and stared out the window. My thoughts wandered to Noah. I honestly hope that he was alive and okay. I still couldn't believe he got himself into that situation. Like Ben said, he should have fought back, but that probably would have made things even worse and they could have shot him on the spot. A shiver ran up my spine at the thought and I glanced over to see Kyle looking at me. He placed a hand on my shoulder in reassurance and I let out a small sigh tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Alright, before we continue on, who needs coffee?" Ben asked as he pulled into a gas station on the side of the highway.

"Me!" Krista shouted as she quickly undid her seatbelt. Ben stayed in the car while the three of us went inside. Once we got our coffee we all gathered back in the car and settled into our seats, getting on the road again.