CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: THE TOWN

(In perspective of Matthew Crustello):

Everyone gave questioning looks at us when we walked by, and I could tell why, we were all new people in an old town. The town statue was a carving of an old man, his stone features had moss growing from them and it looked as if the figure was missing a nose. The statue read, "Obadiah Manning." We stopped at the sign that read "Convenient store" and walked in. The owner greeted us with a smile and ushered us in.

"Now what are you fine folks doin' in this part of Saddleburgh. I don't reckon I've seen y'all around at all." The woman had a southern accent, she had a hat with boots on and a clip that read, "manager."

"Our car broke down and we need new supplies." Cassandra told the woman.

"I have some right in the back I'll go get y'all some." The woman gave a strange laugh and smiled awkwardly, then she headed to the back room.

"Is it just me or is something up with that lady?" I muttered to my team.

"Really? I think she's fine." Draco whispered back.

"If we've learned anything from Pandal betrayal, we have to at least know that things aren't always what they seem." Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Yeah agreed, let's make this supply run fast."  Cassandra gestured towards the shelves. "Let's get what we need and go." We all rushed through the store, grabbing everything we needed, plus a few bottles of pepper spray. (Andrometa insisted) We put our things on the counter and the lady brought out some camping supplies.

"Here y'all are, that'll be $76.12." I did the math in my head and I was pretty sure she charged us ten dollars extra, but it didn't matter, we needed to get out of there, and fast. Cassandra slapped down the money and we started to run towards the door with our supplies. That's when a giant, burly man opened it.

"Are these kids causing trouble ma'm?" He was the same burly man from earlier when Pandal had betrayed us. I didn't know what to do, I knew I couldn't beat him in a fair fight and I knew that my team needed to get out of here.

"Sooooo, long time no see, ummmm, what was your name?" I stalled, gesturing my team towards the door as Cassandra grabbed me and yanked me aside, as if protecting me.

"Yeah, what is your name and why the heck are you here? And I'll let you know mister, that if you put one finger on my friends, I will personally karate chop you in the gut, and it won't be pretty." We all believed her threat was very much real and the man almost looked shocked. Even our team took a step back.

"Look lady, I don't know what you think I'll do to these kids, but I just wanted to buy supplies, just like you guys." He grabbed some gummy bears and slapped them on the counter. Then he looked at us and smiled, "For a friend." He tilted his head to the side. Everyone shuddered, except Draco, who had no idea what was happening or even who this guy was. "By the way, the names Brutus, but I don't expect any of you to remember." He was being oddly polite, but we didn't have time to get to know him. We all ran out the door and rushed out of town, when we were a fair distance away, Cassandra said the weirdest thing I think I will ever hear.

"Well, that guy was cute am I right?!" We all looked at her with shame and shock. She blushed and quickly said, "Never mind." And with that we walked on.
TO BE CONTINUED