The Aftermath

~*****~

After Lisanna's return, I did end up taking a backseat. Not because of being actually put back there, I just started wondering that maybe I was around him too much. That perhaps these ugly feelings would go away if I focused on taking jobs both by myself and with our team. Although, I don't think Natsu appreciates my sudden withdrawal and starts consistently trying to butt in on jobs that I take for myself and Ballad.

"Can't you take on a job on your own?" I ask irritably as Natsu sulks after getting a firm no. "It's not like there's a shortage of 'em. Besides, didn't you mention this is the season for single person jobs?"

"I wanted to go on a job with you," Natsu grumbled irritably, his arms crossed over his chest. "You went to get more Ice Diamonds with Lucy and the other girls and didn't even invite me or Happy."

"I said it was a girl's day, you and Happy don't exactly have the right equipment-- You know what, I don't know why I gotta explain myself to you." I snap, suddenly more irritated than usual. "I gotta go. This job is apparently time sensitive." I snatch the poster off the board and stomp towards Makarov to get the paperwork filed.

"I wouldn't go on a job right now," Makarov commented as I held it out. Before I can argue, Makarov smiles. "Everything will be explained in due time, my dear. Take a breather, go have a drink. After all the jobs you've gone on, I suspect that you've earned it."

I grimace irritably and nod before sulking back to the board and pinning it back up. "It's not like we need the jewel," Ballad hums. "I'm sure Master has a good reason not to send us on a job right now."

I huff. "Probably. I guess we'll just hang out here until we're allowed to go on one."

"You're staying?" Natsu calls out, seemingly in better spirits. "Good! I'll find a two man job for us!"

"No thank you, master told me I shouldn't go out on any more missions," I call back immediately.

Lucy smiled with a teasing glint in her eye as Natsu began to throw a tantrum and start a fight with someone unlucky enough to get nearby. "Are you sure that this is a good idea?" Lucy asked.

I hum with a nod. "I'm already getting back to normal, and that means no more emotional outbursts and ugly feelings in my belly." I explain irritably. Although, I may have lied about the ugly feelings. Even if she's been back for a while now, Lisanna and I still can't seem to find good grounds to actually be friends like we are with everyone else. And it didn't take long for the others to notice. Wakaba nearly got punted across the guild hall when he mentioned that we're avoiding each other like the plague.

"Lisanna really does want to be your friend, you know." Lucy hums.

I hum in response. "I know..." I hum again and stare off in the distance where Lisanna and Mira are laughing together like sisters should. "I still can't believe Cana's thinking about quitting the guild." I mention to change the subject. "I thought she'd been in the guild the longest."

"I know! I tried to get her to tell me why, but she wouldn't say!" Lucy cried.

Mira just giggles as she approaches. "I wouldn't worry about it," Mira hums. "She always starts talking about quitting whenever this time of year rolls around."

"Say what?" Lucy gasped. "Oh, no. Is something bad going to happen?"

I shrug. "I wonder if it has anything to do with why Master won't let me go on any jobs right now."

Mira just giggles. "Perhaps he thinks you're overworked and need a break." Mira chirps as she leans on the bar top.

"ALL RIGHT! NO MORE EXCUSES! I FOUND US THE PERFECT JOB!" I hear Natsu shout as he grasps my waist and hauls me upwards. I yelp in surprise as I'm being carted away like a box on top of his head.