Leaving with you and a dream

You ask me what the plan is as I'm watching the only city I've ever known fade in the rearview mirror. We are standing at the precipice and we are about to fall into a life I've only heard of. I feel the cold of the leather seats under my palms and I try to remember what I'm leaving behind. I remember us, and we're kids crossing our eyes and locking pinkies, don't ever let go, stay with me here forever. I remember bonfires at your old lake house, flames honey-yellow like sunsets. We're both teenagers and we barely know the taste of freedom but all of our feelings are mangled together, sunwarm and giddy. I remember your second apartment and the broken glass of picture frames on the floor after you got your first feel of heartbreak, let's run away, I hate this place anyways, all I want is you. I look in your wild eyes, see your bitten-red lips and all I can think is you're so young. We are running from the sunlight and my heart is skipping every beat and you are so young. You tell me you can't even sleep anymore and I'm hiding in your window eyes. I wonder if you might fall in love with me after this. I wonder if I can somehow fix you into something that wants me the same way I've always wanted you. I wonder if our hands clasped together and stares that are held too long will be enough to convinced you that I am worth your love. You rub circles into my skin and send me a knowing smile as I realize things will never be the same.