Burning for you

when we were younger, and more than just a little naive, my mother told me nothing could last forever. i was small and had a heart that could beat like a drum and i thought you were something i could never lose. you were a light to me and you felt like the sun when you touched my skin. i could bask in you for the rest of time and i was convinced good things like you don't just fade away. time would prove me to be right, but you would leave nonetheless.

when you fell out of the sky the shock in my blood didn't leave for thirteen days and even then i still couldn't feel the tips of my fingers. when you fell out of the sky i could not do anything but watch with everyone else as each of your pieces divided into five and came back together again after forgetting a fraction. when you fell out of the sky i finally understood what hurt worse than being left without anything and that was being left with a sunburn that wouldn't let itself be forgotten. when you fell out of the sky i tasted blood in my mouth instead of the honey you used to leave there and I could only stand with a broken heart and no place to go.

when you fell out of the sky i learned what it was like to let something burn every inch of your soul because they were always worth coming apart for.