Chapter: Two

Chapter: Two

Though it had only been a few hours since I'd woken up, it felt like much more time had passed. Max kept me company, which I was grateful but I already felt the loneliness of the ones who weren't here. The most obvious were Greg, Susan, and Abel. They'd been such a huge part of my life for only a short amount of time. I felt like they must be where my dad was. Heaven must be the place.

However, it was also the losses of those currently still alive that weren't here as well. My family was all out with Aubrey, and I missed them already. Lily was gone and who knew when she'd be back or if she'd be back? Henry and Megan were back home going through the loss of their son. Tamron was dealing with the loss of his parents.

After a while, he came into the room much to my happiness, but he looked so sad. His hair wasn't brushed, and he looked so tired. He came over, not saying a word as he hugged me, then sat on my bed beside Max. No one said anything for a moment and I brought the silence.

"Tam, I'm glad you're here."

"Sorry, I should have come to see you sooner, but I just haven't felt like doing anything."

"No, it's okay, I understand."

I could only imagine what he was going through right now, and I wanted to cry and hug him. I already felt their losses so deeply and I knew when did as well. Their only child, not counting Aubrey, and he was all alone. He shifted and looked at the wall.

"Someone's going to come soon and talk about custody of Aubrey."

"Custody? What do you mean? Shouldn't she stay with you? You're twenty years old. You're old enough to be her guardian."

"That's just it. I don't know that I'm the right guardian for her."

"Tam, you're her cousin, of course-

"My parents died, her second set of parents, and I couldn't even go to avenge them."

"That's not-

"They took care of her. They were her parents. Without them, I don't think I can do this. She deserves better."

"So then, what's better for her?" Max pressed.

"A normal life, a family with a mom and a dad. That's how it should be."

I shook my head. "Not all families look the same, but that doesn't make them not family. She's your family. She's been with you since her parents-

"Her parents died, yes. Her second set of parents just died, and she's five years old. No child should have to go through that. It's not right that she has to suffer all this and I can't deal with this. Not without them."

"Tamron, are you talking about getting her adopted by someone? Because that would never work because she's a halfling. Victor would never allow it. Would you like him to be the one to take her?" Max demanded angrily, and I could tell they'd had this conversation before now.

"I can't give her what she needs. Not right now. Not like my parents could. I have to do what's best for her. As much as I'd love for her to go have a normal family with a human mom and dad, I know it would never work. I know that, so I need to think of other options for her and I have some."

"What options?"

"She could be in your mom's custody. I think she'd say yes. I know it would mean she'd be living with Victor and I don't like that, but it's where she's been since everything happened. It's not like we'll be able to get away, anyway. You made a deal with Victor to free us, but we're still right here. Henry and Megan lost Abel and maybe they need to have someone to parent. Megan's a halfling too. Maybe it makes sense Abel and my parents died together. Or maybe you and Liam could take her. You're her distant great-grandparents, anyway. We need to think about all those options."