Chapter: Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

I was never unsure of how to deal with these new revelations. Charles had been seeking answers to what happened to Amelia. I wasn't sure why Ricky and Candy would be directing him toward Carter when they'd been involved with Amon as well. Something about that just seemed so strange. Then again, it seemed like Ricky and Candy both hopped around sides all the time.

"Why did Carter want you to kill Britt? Someone just as innocent as your fiancee was?" Niles demanded.

"He didn't tell me to kill her. He told me to get your attention."

"Well, he's got it, so where is he?" Louis questioned.

"I don't know," Charles confessed.

"You'd better not be lying," Clary threatened.

"I'm not, he left. Took a plane somewhere. I don't know where."

"How do we know you're telling us the truth?" Zeke demanded.

"Oh, he's telling you the truth. I'm the ultimate liar, so I would know when someone else was lying. He isn't lying," Victor smirked.

"So basically he left you to die, and you fell right for it," Liam mused.

"Why would he do something so pointless just to have this guy die?" Louis asked.

"My guess is it was to distract us so he could leave," Clary announced.

"Why would he need to do that?" Max asked.

"We were considering killing him if we had to. I couldn't have him running around, and I guess he figured it out." Liam spoke, and I turned to him.

"You were going to kill him, too?"

"You should expect that by now, love.. We got a little distracted, obviously."

Victor chuckled, seeming to be amused by that, and even creepy Shika was still laughing. I wouldn't be laughing if I was the one who was stuck in a cage. Regardless, I was not ready to let this go.

"Yeah, so he probably did have to leave just like Ricky and Candy so he wouldn't get killed!" I snapped.

"Well, I'm hoping he goes to the same place they do, so when we hunt him down, we'll kill them altogether. Take care of it all at once," he shrugged.

"You-

"Both of you knock it off. We have more pressing concerns," Zeke reminded.

"Or maybe he got all the info he needed on us. That's a troubling thought," Henry reasoned.

"If that was the case, then what's the point of having this guy here?" Niles asked.

"Maybe he wants to see if he'll go missing, too. You've never killed any guys in this before, have you? Maybe that's his plan. He's going to see that if Charles dies, then he's right about us. He can figure it all out safely from wherever he's hiding," Megan reasoned.

Even I could see how that could be correct. I didn't know a lot about Carter only talking to him on brief occasions. The only thing I knew for sure was that he knew something was up with these people and he was trying to find out what. I couldn't decide whether he was a good guy or a bad guy. Whether he thought he was doing a good thing or not. Perhaps he did care about those women.

Whether he values the lives of others or not, he wouldn't needlessly send Charles to his death without a good reason. He couldn't be that cruel or that needless. Liam just confirmed they'd considered killing him and somehow he'd got wind of that. It made sense he'd want to get away as quickly as he could and maybe he did have all the information he needed, although I doubted that.