CHAPTER FOURTEEN - July 2173 - Fermur / Tranchilite

CHAPTER FOURTEENJuly 2173Fermur / Tranchilite

                                                                                        ...Fermur...

For nine days the forces of Tripitar and the rogue forces of Fermur had been engaged in battle around the capital city of Ferris.

Just two hours previously, Colonel Jihaki of the Tripitar army had broken through the city's perimeter defences, forcing the Fermur defenders to flee towards the palace where they made their last stand.

Colonel Jihaki had given them multiple chances to surrender. None of the fermlings had taken that option. They had all fought to the death.

Now, the colonel was approaching the palace gates. He could hear the growls and roars of defiance coming from the last of King O'aficfi's loyal forces. He held his hand in the air — keeping his transparent shield powered for protection.

All of his troops — foot soldiers and vehicles alike — stopped at his command. Colonel Jihaki continued forwards until he was only ten metres away from the palace gates.

"I am Colonel Jihaki of the Tripitar army. You can see the overwhelming forces at my disposal. You have all fought valiantly but the outcome is inevitable."

Far over to his right, he saw the unmistakable figure of the fermling, Major Lock O'oeleafe, taking his own decision to breach the palace walls while the colonel was talking. He already knew, due to the previous nine days of fighting, that the fermlings wouldn't back down. But he still had to try to give them the option to surrender.

He continued with his futile speech. "Surrender now and you will all be welcomed under the new leadership."

Two laser bolts hit his shield accompanied by a fermling roar of defiance.

"We will not surrender to you or anyone! Tell Major O'oeleafe that he is a traitor and execution awaits him once we've defeated the invasion!"

The defiance was still obvious to Colonel Jihaki. He sighed and signalled for the assault to resume. As the laser bolts and cannons roared back to life, he walked back to his vehicle and climbed aboard.

"Fire upon both pillars either side of the gates and send in the tanks."

The colonel's forces did as they were told and two explosions ripped apart the pillars each side of the gates, causing them to fall. The tanks moved towards the gates and crushed them underneath their weight as they moved into the palace grounds.

Using the distraction of the tanks, Major O'oeleafe had scaled the wall further down with his squad following him over. They all disappeared out of the colonel's sight.

Colonel Jihaki watched the tanks file through the destruction they had wrought followed by foot soldiers and armoured assault vehicles. He looked at his driver and said, "Proceed."

They moved towards the gates and the colonel looked at the devastation left behind by his forces. There were hundreds of bodies lying still — most of them were fermlings but he recognised some of his fellow triplings amongst the dead. His vehicle followed the path of destruction all the way to the palace.

He could see the battle raging in front of him. The fermlings were formidable opponents. Only the grelites and tranchillions could match them. That was why he had brought so many troops.